No more UTI's!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I used to get a UTI every few weeks and with a few changes I made, I no longer get them!

I understand how painful and annoying they can be so if anyone wants to read, here are the very simple changes I made to stop the dreadful thing attacking me.

Firstly I drink loads and loads of water everyday. I drink at least 5 pints a day which makes me go to the loo quite a lot which flushes any sign of bacteria out. I have stopped drinking caffeine as this made me very constipated and was a factor of recurring UTI. I have also been diagnosed with IBS (Irrital Bowel Syndrome) so caffeine doesn't help with that either. When I'm constipated, I make sure I use senokot (not sure I have spelt that right). This is a constipation relief so helps get rid of bacteria around that area. I no longer drink fizzy drinks. I have also stopped eating spicy foods. I was also using condoms before for sexual intercourse but because I am with a long term partner I decided to get the injection. After having sex with a condom, every time I would get a UTI!

I take represh pro b once a day and if I ever feel a UTI coming on or just after sex, I keep a supply of azo just as a back up, but I only really take these because I feel paranoid that I may get one but I don't.

By doing these I haven't had a UTI in a few months now, hurray! So maybe these things may help for you but I recommend you give them a try!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am fed up with getting UTI even though I take 100mg of Trimethoprim every day prescribed by my GP. I will try what you do. Always have decaf tea and coffee anyway. What pro b do you take and what is azo?
    • Posted

Rephresh pro b and azo, look them up on Amazon. They are both yeast controlling tablets that help with infections and prevention
  • Posted

Your bowels have absolutely nothing to do with uti's?  You say, "This is a constipation relief so helps get rid of bacteria around that area."  Wiping properly after a bowel movement helps to keep bacteria out of that area, however, taking a laxative does nothing to keep uti's from happening.  Making the suggestion that not using condoms during sex is not a responsbile thing to do even if you are in a long term relationship.  Condoms should always be used when having sexual intercourse unless you are wanting to contract a std or worse.  

• Posted

I have been to the doctors and they have said it could be linked so trying these measures have helped all round. Obviously if you have to use condoms use them but both me and my partner have been tested for STDs so I am sure that I am safe thank you
  • Posted

Your caffeine use likely caused constipation due to dehydration (caffeine overworks the kidneys).  I have one cup of coffee 3-4 days a week but always drink at least 70 ounces of water daily.  I also have used a fiber supplement for the past 25-30 years after being told I had IBS (an apple eaten with the peel also works wonders).

A stool softener will work as well as a laxative.  However, we use that which we feel most comfortable with.

I agree with the always keeping AZO tablets on hand as I do the same.  In fact, this past week my son had reason to open a fresh box after being diagnosed with a UTI and he was in extreme discomfort and these probably kept him from making a trip to the ER over the weekend (diagnosed by doctor a week ago today) simply for that awful UTI burning and back pain).

• Posted

Does caffiene free (decaf) really make a difference?

I thought there was an element of caffiene in decaf stuff.

I agree 100% that coffee is an irritant, it irritates my bladder, but I also feel thats due to dehydration, because if I get dehydrated I have a very high chance of getting a UTI, and that makes no sense at all, but it is what happens to me.

I could switch to decaf though, if it really made a difference

• Posted

If all you want is the coffee flavor, then decaf is for you.  However, I need the caffeine.  Granted, I switched from ground coffee to instant (less caffeine but still gets me started in the morning).  Instant also is less likely to cause bladder irritation for me (and I have IC).

It's an aquired taste, switching from brewed to instant, but not bad.  I'd wager I could get away with a cup a day, it's that sometimes I just don't want coffee.  Takes a couple of weeks to get used to the less caffeine, but again, not terrible.

I've said all that to say this:  I believe coffee, even decaf, by it's nature can be a bladder irritant simply due to the acid content (and I've tried the low/no acid coffees...don't waste your money).  Pay attention to how your body accepts certain things and take your cue from that.

• Posted

I guess the issue I have is that I intake a lot of caffeine, using pre-workout stimulants.

I really struggle to think that at age 40 I have suddenly developed an issue with coffee.

Everywhere you turn there is different and conflicting information. Im still unsure wether I just have a really good hanging on infection, or something like IC, though I dont fit many IC symptoms.

Dr's arent really helpful, oh women get it all the time, its that naughty E coli, wipe front to back etc

Im on a very restricted diet currently and my leukocyte count has gone the highest ive ever seen it, but I still have coffee and dairy.

• Posted

Dairy is a no brainer for me since I'm lactose intolerant (not a hard choice to make when faced with the alternative...*whew*).  

Maybe your issue isn't with caffeine, per se, but with the *amount* of caffeine you ingest.  Sugar also plays a large role in bladder irritation (as well as setting the stage for yeast infections, already a danger whenever one takes antibiotics).

When it comes to IC, my triggers are/were (sometimes if you stay away from the trigger foods, the IC will go into remission and you can add some of your favorites back in, in limited amounts) caffeine, sugar, artificial sweeteners (I use Stevia or nothing), onions and garlic (I now use the dehydrated and can tell no difference in cooking), spicy, acidic and processed foods.  I now regularly have these in limited amounts and have done exceedingly well for a year or more.  I suggest googling IC and read, which is what I did.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.