Non Bacterial Vaginosis Treatment, or is it something else?

Posted , 6 users are following.

For years I have been having this milk-like vaginal discharge that no one can diagnose.  It is NOT bacterials vaginosis or anything else that the doctors can figure out (not on the STDs list, or the normal infections that doctors test for as these were all ruled out).  This one doctor was able to determine that the walls of my cervix was shedding, causing the discharge.  There is no odor and it does not hurt or anything, but it can be a very heavy discharge that has kept me away from sex because it is emarassing and comes out in clumps during intercourse.  During the day it comes out milky on my panty shield but if I try to wash inside, there are these clumps of dead cells that are white but dries as an off-white colour.

I have tried everything from naturals to prescribed gels and creams for years at a time, including natural probiotics inserts, tea tree oil suppositories, boric acid inserts, baking soda sitz baths, metrogel, and the list goes on, but to no avail.  I read in this forum some time ago, that there is something called non-bacterial vaginosis and it lists the exact symptoms I have been experiencing.  Is there a treatment for this diagnosis?

Has anyone ever experienced something like what I described and had successful treatment.  Please help, I am so tired and frustrated of trying to figure out what is wrong with me!! sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

so its not trichomonas?

sounds as if you've found a definition which you accept....have you tried just leaving it alone and letting things be if theres no pain or smell?

• Posted

am just concerned that you're actually doing too much....and causing aggravation. have you tried just allowing the flow and not worrying about it? these things can dry up if left alone...at least you're not suffering a lack of moisture as so many do...does this in any way make sense or is a respite unacceptable?
    • Posted

Hi Marey...thanks for your response.  No. it's not trichomonas because there is not pain or itching, discomfort during intercourse and the discharge is white without any odour.

I understand your concern about doing too much, but I have left it alone many times, usually after a period where I have tried a new program of "treatments", then I leave it alone for 6-12 months to see if there has been any improvements.  There has been none to date and it's going on 9 years now that I have had this problem.

• Posted

I've not heard of the "non" bacterial vaginosis (BV).  You said that you have done the gammet of remedies and non seem to work...I used to get this when I was younger and found that just leaving it alone solved itself.  When you douche, for instance, you can upset the balance of bacteria in the vagina and put yourself at increased risk for getting BV. You can reduce the chance of getting BV by the following basic prevention steps :

Not having sex

Limiting your number of sex partners; and

Not douching.

I'm sure you heard this from your doctor and all the research you must have done.  But I found the culprit for me, was the douching.  Our bodies are capable to cleansing the vagina w/o any help.  Try just being celibate for a month and see how that works.  If it doesn't help...try two months.  Good luck.

frustrated

• Posted

Thank you for the advice smile  I have been celibate for over two years and I haven't douched in about 5 years.  It was just a treatment I tried a long time ago.  Something is causing it and isn't able of correcting itself, which is why I am trying to find a solution.

• Posted

Hi Arist ~

I'm so sorry you have been dealing with this for such a long time.  I only know what I previously posted but should I come across another idea, I will definitely share it with you.  Hang in there, someone will be able to lead you in the right direction!

Frustrated

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kindness and support smile  Gues we're both frustrated wink

• Posted

Sounds like it could be Cytolytic Vaginosis.  ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3168042/ wink

Normally issues (ie, infections) arise if the vaginal pH is too high (not acidic enough), but if it is too acidic, it could be causing the more rapid cell death and shedding you're experiencing.  I would test your vaginal pH to see whether this might be the cause.

While the article I linked mentions women with symptoms, there is no reason this couldn't be asymptomatic like in your case where there is just increased discharge.

If it is cytolytic vaginosis:

Common treatments for vaginal problems that involve either lowering the pH (boric acid inserts, etc.) or increasing lactobacilli (probiotics) would be ineffective at best and would likely make the problem worse.  Treatments aimed at reducing bacteria (metrogel, tea tree oil, etc) have the potential to be helpful, but that's only if the problem is caused by a transient change in the balance of bacteria.  These would kill off any bacterial overgrowth, and then your body's natural environment would return to it's natural balance.  Since your issue has been going on for so long, I expect that your body's usual balance is problematic, so the problem would just recur after treatment.  Of the treatments you mention, baking soda sitz baths seem most applicable to cytolytic vaginosis, since baking soda would help raise the pH.  However, you mentioned the doctor found that the epithelial shedding was from the cervix, and it is highly unlikely that a sitz bath would help lower pH that far up--a sitz bath would only help with discomfort or issues of the vulva/outer part of the vagina.  From what I've read, baking soda douches are recommended for cv if baking soda sitz baths are ineffective.  HOWEVER, before trying this I highly recommend testing your vaginal pH and discussing with your doctor.  If you do not have cytolytic vaginosis, lowering your vaginal pH by this method would increase your susceptibility to vaginal infections.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.