Non fusion bunion surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had bunion surgery in july 2016. At my 6 week post op appointment i was told there was movement in the joint which shouldnt be there which indicated non fusion of the bone. Ive been going back to see the surgeon at 6 weekly intervals to have xrays and there is no bone growth. Because of this i need another op in Jan to rectify the problem. However for the last 4 weeks my foot is becoming increasingly pain full. I am on vit d supplements ( count was 28) and have a bone density scan planned. Anyone else had similar experience?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I didn't have bunion surgery I had the 1st joint fused in both big toes on the 3rd oct so I have a plate and screws

i had an x- ray early Dec so maybe just 8 weeks after surgery and the bones not fused I have to wait until Feb 8th for another x ray so I have my fingers crossed that it's fussing 

what is the vitamin d doing 

• Posted

They are trying to find out why my bones arent repairing. I dont smoke or have diabetes so they tested my vit d level ( vit d helps bone growth)
    • Posted

That's good to know I might try them before my next appointment 

when is your next surgery and what do they plan to do x

• Posted

Ive got another xray on the 11th to see if there's any bone growth. If not they are putting a plate and screws in it on the 13th. Getting fed up of the pain now.

• Posted

I am fed up of not being able to walk properly as wearing them silly post op shoes it's horrible 

have you got pain relief 

• Posted

Ive got basic paracetomol. Cant have ibuprofen because it slows down bone repair apparently. I could see my own gp for something stronger but you know how long it takes to get an appointment!!!
    • Posted

Yes you can buy co codamol over the counter maybe that will help 

I am not in pain as such just my toes feel odd 

• Posted

I wish you the best of luck Joanne.

Did you have K-Wires in your toes?

If so, how long were they in for and how were they removed?

• Posted

I had a double osteotomy and bunion removal done nearly 14 weeks ago. I have 2 screws and a pin. For some reason my bone isn't fusing. It's been a month since my last xray,I go again in 2 weeks. The pain seemed to be getting better, but last night it started throbbing again deep inside for no reason. I'm very frustrated. I don't smoke, no diabetes, I've been very careful to listen to the Dr on weight bearing. This morning I'm beside myself.

When I had my surgery my Dr found that my bone is hollow. He brushed it off aso nothing more than strange, but I am starting to think that there is something to it. If it's not healed at my next visit, perhaps a bone density test???

• Posted

Sound nasty I have screws and plate in both big toe had mtp bone fusion for arthritis and my bones not fused 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.