Non genital herpes - on my hand/arm

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi - I contracted the herpes virus from a ex ex boyfriend, however, I did not know I had it until my current ex partner contracted it. However, I do not get genital herpes, but I get occasional outbreaks of blisters around my wrist area or on the palm of my hand. My ex now has genital herpes and I know I passed it on, as I had the blisters on my hand before I met him, but I had no idea what it was. I was with my current partner for 14 years and although the symptoms got less over the years, he said he couldn't forgive me for infecting him and he does not believe I didn't know, which I didn't.

So my question is now I know I am a carrier of the virus, I have just recently started to date someone else and I will definitely tell them before I sleep with them. I am terrified of their reaction. How did I pass on this virus to my ex through my blisters? Would getting my new partner to use a condom protect him from getting the virus from me? I can go for almost a year without getting any symptoms. Can someone catch it if you don't have symptoms or is it just when you get symptoms?? Is it common to get them on your arm or hand instead of your genitals?? I have not come across any other people who have the blisters here.

Any answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated. I am almost in tears wondering how on earth I am going to explain this to someone without freaking them out.... thank u

4 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there, I met my GF 4 years ago, I was going out with her two weeks when I got a text saying she had something to tell me, I went round that night and she was in tears and shaking tryin to tell me the news that she had herpes, however il be completely honest,

Were still together now and never for a moment did I doubt the relationship with her, there are many forms of herpes, one genital, one tht gives you cold sores,one that triggers shingles and chicken pox, one that triggers glandular fever, why should genital herpes be any worse than the rest?

In my opinion it's not. Just make sure not to have sex whilst you have any of the symptoms, I don't really think using protection is going to help in the long run, cause if your serious and one day have a child then lets face it, your going to have unprotected sex at some point, on that note il give you a bit of hope

I have never used a condom with my GF, and 4/5 years later I have yet to show a sign of the disease, the virus can lay dormant in some people forever so try not to let it dictate your life or your emotions,

• Posted

Hi Sporty.. I have recently got into a relationship and my new girlfriend broke the news to me that she has had herpes for almost 2 years.. She said she has only had one outbreak and that was the time she found out she had the virus.. We have not had sex.. So my question to you is.. When is the best time to have sex and how often can we have sex?? What are the chances of me getting the virus with her having no symptoms whatsoever.. She has a very clean vagina with on sores she is fit and in excellent shape..
  • Posted

Oh my gosh!!! This is the first time I have ever heard of anyone other than myself having herpes on the arm/wrist. I've had it recurring for 10 years. Quite frequently!!! For the first 7 years or so it was only in one spot on my right arm now it pops up on my right wrist, every single month. It sucks! Valtrex doesn't work, I haven't found a cure let alone a fix yet. I''ve been taking llots of herbal supplements and I'm about to start many new ones to see if I can boost my immune system. Although typically I am never sick my immune system just can't fight the herpes/shingles or whatever the doc thinks it is.  Sorry I don't actually have any answers for you as far as the disease spreading I just wanted to comment because I found this extremely interesting that this happens to someone other than myself. 

Best of luck!!

• Posted

Hi! I am having this same experience. I get itchy blisters that I have been told are caused by herpes virus every month on my right wrist! Have also never heard of anyone else getting it until I read your post, and doctors seem to be a bit baffled by it and not really know what's going on. Have you had any breakthrough in cures yet? Or found any way of dealing with it better? Any advice/help would be appreciated as it's driving me crazy!

• Posted

Wow...so I am not alone... The doctors absolutly don't know what it is on my wrist...does it take to heal for you like 4 weeks as well???

For my it is very very very painful and huge blisters

• Posted

Yes it is called ORAL HSV2. It is same virus as HSV2 but attacks belly up and not genital areas as the rest of 97% cases of HSV2 (about 3% is oral). I think I read that those who caught it through unprotected oral sex rather than sex itself (unrotected intercourse) will be infected this way. I caught it 18 months ago throuugh oral sex (I always use protection fearing HIV) and was hoping with time it will go away so I am disappointed to read that someone has had it for 10 years and still she has it!!!!. Anyhow Valyrex works on me and it makes the attck much milder if I take it as soon as I feel the symptoms in my arm or back (before the sore(s) show up a few days later). To answer the original poster question likely if you take Valtrex everyday then it would substantially reduce the risk of Herpes infection to your new boyfriend (I read somewhere by 94%).
    • Posted

How could have the virus entered your body if you never had unprotected intercourse or unprotected oral? Please note that kissing espcially French is considered oral too.
    • Posted

I did a blood test and I was HSV positive. The lab coldn't tell if its HSV1 or HSV2

So they decided what I have on the wrist is herpes... some doctors say its allargy... 

Anyhow, I never did oral sex with somemone who wasn't my boyfriend...none off them had HSV2

I thought you said if you got it on the wrist you have oral HSV 2

Maybe I got it from a kiss but I think more  from an intercourse. 

• Posted

Yes Nicki if you have sore belly up and sswab test on sore says that it is HSV2 then based on my research (I am not a doctor myself) it is oral HSV2. The good news is that apparently oral HSV2 will nt attack genital area which would have been a lot worse and second good news is that it attacks the face only once. Again based on what I have read oral HSV2 is caught by oral sex both giving and receiving and kissing as well.
    • Posted

Blood test says I have the virus but they couldn't say if it is type 1 or 2...

I asked for a swab but the 5th doctor that finally agreed to do it, took for a bacteria test instead HSV ....I am tired of the medical system in Canada....Doctors here are ....

Next time when I get the blisters again I will have to teach the doc step by step what to do

Although most of them says it is allergy...I think its a virus because it is always grow on the smae spot, same wrist, every month

• Posted

herpes is caused by skin to skin contact... You can have protected, unprotected or no sex at all and still get it if you come in contact with there outbreak sore... The worse are the asymptomatic people who has herpes and never have an outbreak they are passing it out unknowingly to many people. They have internal symptoms and during this time their skin is contagious the only way for them to see what area of their skin reacts to hydrogen peroxide. I believe the statistics of people with herpes... 80% are asymptomatic and 20% have outbreaks.... Majority of people with herpes don't know they have it. When u get your regular check ups they don't automatically test for herpes u have to request the test to be added in to the blood work.

• Posted

I have a question?  Can it be brought on by stress. That's the only time my breakouts happen. Going to the drs. Today. 

• Posted

Yes stress (whether emotional or physical)  is one of the major factors that triggers outbreaks, as well  as certain foods, etc. 
  • Posted

Hi,

I've had the same condition for almost 10 years now. I contracted from the Gardisil vaccines when they were first released.

The condition is actually HSV-1, it's not genital herpes but a viral skin infection. It's also called Mat Herpes. You can have your blood work done to determine if it's 1 or 2. But I think it's unlikely to pass along type 2 if you're only type 1.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.