Non hormonal copper coil - pain

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi, I had copper coil in a month ago and all was fine until the end of my first period a few days ago, now I have some abdominal pain (but not period-like pain). Had it checked by the doctor who put the coil in and she says the threads are there and the coil is in place. If the pain doesn't go away she advised me to see my GP. I feel really well otherwise, no other symptoms.

It feels like the coil is 'digging' into me, can that happen? Maybe its just sitting in an uncomfortable place? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

1 like, 51 replies

Report / Delete

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have the cooper coil fitted about 8 months ago, and I have this exact same pain every month. Very odd, about 2 days after my period has finished i get the same 'digging in' sensation you're describing. Another mate of mine has it too (at times). Mine is pretty much like clock work. It goes away pretty quickly (although im on my second day of it today and totally over it) and i havent yet bothered to contact the doc about it. I have a feeling that its just 're-adjusting' itself post period and that the lining of the womb - now its shed post period (sorry sounds minging) might eb more sensitive to its presence sitting in there.

That's the only explaining i can think of. Theres no blood, nothing, just pain, bearable pain but pain nonetheless. I just don't think theres much that can be done about it...if you find out that its something else let me know!

Oddly enough though the period pains have got better and my period have got lighter over the last 8 mths, so my body must be getting used to it a bit.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had the copper coil put in 5 months ago. Im having exactly the same post period cramps. I thought maybe the coil had moved as the pain was quite intense but the nurse said my coil was in the correct position. I agree with Anne that it must be some post period re adjustment thing.

Trying to have sex during the two days post period adjustment was a big mistake. it was extremely painful and un comfortable.

I have also found that my period has lengthened from three days to seven plus two days of adjusting cramps afterwards. Im not sure if this is a worthy trade off for birth control yet. It feels like my period is now so heavy I can not run a normal life durigng at least two days of the seven and when the period is finally over there is only another three weeks left until the next one!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had the copper coil fitted 2 years ago and ever since have had very heavy periods and what used to be 3/4 days is now more like a week. I also have heavy discharge inbetween each period so I feel like it never stops! Though there has been no weight gain or hormonal problems, which is why I chose this coil. My sister is using the marina coil and swears by it, she has no pain, mood swings or weight gain. So do I stay on this coil or change? Does anyone know of an alternative? I have 2 children and am only in my twentys!!

[quote:0b1cb9b9be=\"Anonymous\"]I had the copper coil put in 5 months ago. Im having exactly the same post period cramps. I thought maybe the coil had moved as the pain was quite intense but the nurse said my coil was in the correct position. I agree with Anne that it must be some post period re adjustment thing.

Trying to have sex during the two days post period adjustment was a big mistake. it was extremely painful and un comfortable.

I have also found that my period has lengthened from three days to seven plus two days of adjusting cramps afterwards. Im not sure if this is a worthy trade off for birth control yet. It feels like my period is now so heavy I can not run a normal life durigng at least two days of the seven and when the period is finally over there is only another three weeks left until the next one![/quote:0b1cb9b9be][color=darkblue:0b1cb9b9be][/color:0b1cb9b9be]

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

sad

I have had the copper IUD coil since 9 weeks after childbirth. My body went into a mild shivering shock afterwards, but after that it was fine.

My son is about to turn 4 and I have quite severe abdominal pain mid month - ie when ovulating. When I walk I feel like i've got a tennis ball up there and it's very uncomfortable. I mentioned this to the nurse on my last smear visit, and she just nodded her head - knowingly.

It seems this is normal but I am at the stage of making an appointment to have it removed. It gets me down every month and I cannot face being with my husband around this time.

I woke this morning with fairly bad pain - I also get what seems to be very painful wind also (maybe you don't need to know this!) and anadin extra takes this away.

It seems to suit some more than others!

Take care all!

xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hiya, i'm 23 years old, i've had the non-hormonal coil for about 18 months now, i do find that some months it can get very uncomfortable, but on a whole after your body has got used to the sheer fact that its in there then they get alot easier.

this month has been stressfull so my periods were alot heavier and painfull but i do find that the less stressed i am the less they hurt.

my advise is that on each morning of your period take a couple of pain killers and try and stay happy, its got me through each month with ease.

take it easy x x x[color=indigo:ed9a4c61ba][/color:ed9a4c61ba][/i]

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Im planning on getting a copper IUD soon and have heard about this cramping. Im hoping something I take for period pain will work the same for this.

Try taking a medication called Buscopan. Its for IBS relief, but the medication is actually an anti spasmodic (hyoscine butylbromide) which works on the muscles in your lower body. You can even buy it in Tesco's now.

Its brilliant as its not a painkiller, it actually prevents the muscles cramping. I have been curled up in bed with period paid before, had one and within 15minutes been fine when no painkillers had sorted me out.

It also works great if you have a stomach ache/food poisoning with th painful cramps that make you double over.

Im hoping it works for these sort of cramps too! I though i'd share as very few people know about this and everyone i have given it to has been amazed.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

i've been reading alot about the implant lately. which i've had for 2.5 yrs now. im so sick of hormonal contraception i could die! i have to wait 2 weeks for an apointment just to speak to someone about it. i've been looking at getting the nonhormonal IUD as the implant has made me mental, depressed, grumpy all the time and stopped me loosing any weight. lately the only way to not put more weight on is to not eat more then a bowl of cerial and maybe some veg in the evenings! i've tried diets and exercise but i cant shift it. i've gained abt 3 stone while being on the implanon implant. the idea of getting the IUD even with the threat of heavier periods or having to take buscopan (which my b/f needs anyway lol) is almost miraculous. i say almost as there seems to be downsides to EVERY possible form of contraception!

i dont really plan to ever have kids so i was considering sterilisation. but im only 23 and it seems a little drastic.

im desperate tp find something that actually works!!!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello, Everyone!! I have a copper iud for 2 years now, found the experience dreadfull. Heavy bleeding, down my legs, actually, couldn't leave house for days, huge pain, can't bare it without a huge amount of painkillers, and bleeding after sex and spotting. had to talk to my gp about it, and the main question was: why are they still using this old model??? that was quite a shock 'cos I found myself being stupid and not knowing it was such an old model...that was tt 380 slimline. ooops. remembered quite clearly that at the time of fitting, the doctor mentioned it's the best. so the first question was: have I been taken for a fool???anyway, gp mentiones that the one I have is a lot cheaper than others. that made me mad!! and that is known to give heavy bleeding and pain and weight problems..arghhhh! that was exactly what I said to the doctor I wouldn't take... felt dissapointed by health system altogether...anyway, on monday I'm having it removed and mirena ius fitted instead. that's only because I would struggle remembering to take the pill...but only when I think about the entire process and the pain...makes me shake!!! don't wanna scare anyone just that, indeed, everyones body is different, some take it, some don't!!! take care everyone, and read before u try, unlike I did...
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My girlfriend has the same symptoms heavy bleeding nausea painful cramps hot and cold sweats she too has had hers in for quite some time I want to help but don't know how any advice

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi

after a year of bleeding had a few investigations and pills. later i was rail roaded to have the mirena fitted in march 2010.no let up with bleeding .house bound a few times emotions all over the place and for the first 2 months a noticible lower back pain.

it is now july last week went to work at 9 by 10 in a and e bleeding heavily and spent 2 days on a drip.

I no longer have the coil

it was lost at some point from when it was fitted

i was also moody .gained weight shifted some then the rest stuck.

I had been given lots of information spoke to alot of friends who have very successful experiances ,a few said it takes about 6 months to settle their comments were ;the best thing ever;

me never again

but you have to give these things a try.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hi i have quite the same situation that you have described... i had my coil iud fitted on 3 sep 14 and since thay day im still bleeding.. the pain is horrible like someone or something is stabbing me on one side...  no painkillers help at all...i went to get checked they gave me some pills to stop the bleeding but the only thing it did is that i dont bleed as much but is still bleed... i got my self an appoinment for a blood test and a scan soon... also you have to check for the freds so i did check it at first there was two and really short but now theres only one and long one...  i really want to know whats wrong...
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi

I had really heavy painful periods until i had the mirena coil fitted 4 years ago, i had a few problems to begin with, spotting in between periods and mood swings but after about 6 month that all settled down.

Now i dont have periods or the pain anymore so i feel like i have my life back.

I'd recommend getting the mirena coil instead of the copper IUD.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I've just had my copper coil removed. I had it fitted earlier this year. Although it took 45 minutes, it was painless. My cervix tilts a lot so it was difficult for the doctor to fit. Very little hassle with it. Minor, minor spotting for a couple of days afterwards. No real issues but total loss of libido. Put on some weight as well but not sure that's down to the coil. Periods were a bit earlier and a few days longer but not painful.

Decided to have it removed to see if my libido returns. Removal was easy, quick and painless. But as soon as it came out, I felt a whole lot better. Although I couldn't specifically feel the coil, I always had a sensation of something being there. A bit like having a tiny stone in your shoe. That feeling has gone. Back to the diaphragm for me!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

To the lady who suggested using Buscopan: You life saver! I had the copper iud fitted and was in quite a lot of pain. The day after I had it fitted i started taking Buscopan (whilst taking cocodamol) and it really really helped! The day after i was able to get out and about i still had some pain but it was much much better!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi I had a copper coil fitted a few days ago and one of the main reason I went with this is because of the weight gain I have experienced on the pills and my mood swings, after reading a few comments from woman it seems some say they gained weight on the cooper coil... Is this possible as there are no hormones so what makes you gain the weight... Also I feel I can feel it does this feeling go away?

Thanks for any responses

Hanna

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up