Non op success?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm at around 5-6 weeks in a boot. I was non op. I can wiggle my toes and when I take the foot out of the boot I can move the foot up and down slight, not a huge distance though. But when I do the thompson test on myself, no movement. I've got a doctors appintment in two weeks and seriously worried that the doctor will say that tendons have not re-attached.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Early days yet buddy.

I'm 9 weeks 5 days post injury, non op.

3.5 weeks in plaster

6 weeks in a cam boot with heel lifts.

All heel lifts out now, I have decent range of motion and I can perform seated heel raises.

I can now walk without the boot but only indoors over short distances.

I had a partial rupture.

I've read the Thompson isn't as reliable after a few weeks due to swelling, atrophy and loss of ankle mobility.

They will either perform a scan or they will feel along the tendon to assess recovery.

• Posted

when you transitioned out of the boot did you have to use crutches for extra support? You are about a week ahead of me.  I took my last heel lift out last week and I am eager to see what we'll do in physical therapy this week.  She said we'll probably take the boot off for some standing exercises.

• Posted

Hi there,

Since posting my problem a couple of weeks ago, I am some what confused with the various problems some people have. Like you I have not had an op, and my tendon snapped, I don't think at first but weeks later. I did not have a cast or a boot, and can walk and move my toes and circle my ankle no problem. The only sign that I have is a little soreness on the back of my heel if I have been walking a lot.Have patience if I have good movement without a boot then surely you must have a better chance of recovery.

• Posted

You rupture your tendon, but you let it heal itself without a cast or boot?
    • Posted

At the start of the injury,end of Feb, I could still walk and my Doctor gave me antiflamatory tablets, and I carried on walking resting and using ice packs. A few weeks later a lump developed on my heel, went to the Doctor again,who arranged an appointment for a US Scan, which then showed the rupture.Still walking O.K. no boot or cast.
  • Posted

Hi again, what I didn't make clear was the fact that the tendon has not healed itself, and the only way it can be healed is by an operation using part of the tendon from my big toe to bridge the gap on the achilles tendon.

• Posted

Hey Mike (two weeks ago) at 7 weeks I saw my phsycial therapist and finally she confirmed my tendon was healing well.  She did the thompson test with good results and I told her I tried doing it to myself with no movement and she said it is really hard to do on yourself, you have to be laying on your stomach and have the muscles completely relaxed.  I hope you will get good news at your appointment - it is hard not to worry in the meantime.  I just took my last heel riser out last week and will be going back to PT this week

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.