Normal blood test results, still got hypothyroid symptoms, got allergies & intolerancesI

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does this aound like you? I'm wondering how many of us there are?

Here's my thoughts. From the posts on this website I've gleaned: There seem to be a few of us in this situation. The things we all seem have in common are: we have been hypothyroid for many years, with a thyroid that has completely failed or has been removed or killed off with radioactive iodine (aka RAI), taking synthetic thyroxine during this time which has given normal blood tests but not corrected the symptoms. My thinking is that for some reason the medication hasn't been getting to our tissues, most likely reason for which is either: an inability to convert T4 (thyroxine) to T3 (liothyronine, or usable form of thyroid hormone the body needs); or a problem with 'reverse T3' where the T4 is converted by the body into reverse T3 that blocks the thyroid receptor cells from receiving T3. What do you think?

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Was certainly true here when I was on Levo.

Yes, couldn't agree more. Good summary I think you hit the nail on the head.

• Posted

Thanks LAHs. I'm wondering how many of us this has happened to?
  • Posted

Hello Barbara:

There is a myriad of problems that go along with medication and trying to find what works on a person. 

Some people can take T4 and get along as if nothing happened. Sadly, I am not one of them.

Like you mention many of us have gotten thyroid disease by having the thyroid removed, and some of us have a family trait of it, and some get it from another condition or  treatment for another condition.

I know for me T4 did nothing for me, because my thyroid converter is on the blink, so T3 has worked on me well.  Some people need a little T4 and more T3, and some need only T4.

I also think that in some people they have a resistance to using T3 sort of like  an insulin resistant diabetic.  So I agree that can happen also.

When dealing with glands, like the gall bladder or thyroid, or pancreas, a whole range of problems can happen.

So I do agree with what you wrote.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.