Normal lft but right abdominal pain help please x

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi there if been having pain in right abdomen and in right ribs area, also heartburn and belching sorry for (tmi) I've had full blood count done also lft they are all normal been put on 30 mg daily of lansoprazole but still getting all above symtoms they come and go and do not have them all at same time! Been sent for abdominal ultra sound I am so so worried and keep thinking it's my liver I do drink alcohol ! Anyone had these symptoms can put my mind at rest x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Welcome to the right side rib pain club.  It is amazing how many forums have people discussing the problem, with no help offered from doctors.  I had liver function scans, ultrasound and needle biopsy.  All said my liver is unremarkable, yet I have slightly elevated alkaline phospatates with a liver origin.  I have been told by forum members it is probably fatty liver and to clean up my diet for relief.  Lifestyle and habits are hard to change so I deal with it.

Sorry, not much help from me.  I watch for foods that trigger the problem and try to avoid them.  McD's and honey roasted peanuts seem to have risen to the top of the list.

• Posted

Hi Andrea,

Sorry to hear about the abdominal pains. I can relate to how u feel because I am in a similar situation. I too have been having abdominal pains under my right rib. However, when my pain occurred I was told I had none viral hepatitis. My alkaline Phos, ALT, and AST were elevated along with my sed rate. Have u had ur ESR checked? At the time they suspected autoimmune Hepatits for me, but thankfully after 4 weeks my liver enzymes returned to normal and I was no longer testing positive for that smooth muscle antibody test. So I'm not being treated. I haven't gotten to the liver biopsy as my results keep changing and there has been improvement in my liver. My doctor still wants to observe me for the remainder of the year.

Anyway, my point for telling you this is that even after my liver enzymes returned to normal I was still having pain. So my doctor decided to check my pancreas enzymes "lipase" and "amalayze" sorry if misspelled here. My lipase came back mildly elevated (74) and my ESR went back up. So my doctor put me on a fat free diet (no fast foods, nothing fried) and after avoiding certain foods and going on a bland diet my pains eased up. Have u had ur pancreas enzymes checked? If not, I would bring his up to your doctor. Also, drinking does affect the pancreas too. The elevation of the Alk Phos I hear is mostly associated with drugs, drinking and diet I heard. I'm no doctor, but that's what I've learne throughout this journey. In my case I hadn't touched a drink since December (I barely drink), but my levels were high enough that it resembled that of a drinker.

Follow through with the ultrasound, and don't be surprised if u are sent for a CT scan. That's what happened to me. I know that pain can be annoying because I still experience it too. Mine also goes and comes. Your symptoms eerily resembles mine. I thought I was the only one have pains like that. Exactly how u describe it is EXACTLY how I feel mine too. It would get so bad I could only sleep on my back. Sleeping on my right sight I could feel pressure.

• Posted

I was surprised that including the pancreas in a CBC test isn't standard. Funny thing is during the time I was hospitalized for my liver, the doctors tested me for my pancreas function and it was also elevated. Yet the doctors said nothing! Thank God I found a doctor who was more competent, listened, and and understood my concerns. To see there was still some elevation that could be the culprit since my liver function is continuing to drop into lower normal ranges. Also, there's gallstones and I would cut back on the drinking and watch what u eat.
  • Posted

Andrea30794, just so you know, I have serious liver issues and have never had ANY pain in the right side of my abodem or in the general liver region. Don't jump to conclusions, just follow the course of getting better and listen to the trained professionals. It could be literally 1000 different things. Like GERD.
    • Posted

Thanks Joel I know I shouldn't I am such a worrier my stomachs in knots as internet comes up with liver pain when you put it in! I only drink at weekends I had baby 6 months ago so did not drink for 9 months,my bloods for liver function are completely normal I try and reassure myself by saying this but then people write that your blood could be normal with liver problems? But surely something would be picked up xxx how are you now are your bloods normal 
    • Posted

'my bloods for liver function are completely normal'

They are just a guide. It is possible for them to be totally normal and still have serious things wrong with you. Like Joel, I have serious liver issues, but my tests come through okay, it is only because the gastro knows me, that he is able to notice changes, but knows it is not an indication of my health.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply I'm more worried now , so your bloods have always been completely normal so how did they pick up you had problems? I just thought maybe if things were wrong sometimes would show up in bloods 
    • Posted

Well mine are down to ALD. About two years ago, I decided to have a stroke (bleed on the brain) and go jaundiced (yellow) on the same day. As soon as my GP saw me, I was off to hospital. And I was scanned and x-rayed from just about every angle, the lot. But they knew what they were looking for.

Of course they showed up then, but I'd not had any previous warnings, it's as if my body was coping fine, then one day, just keeled over.

I've read a few posts about liver poblems, not just in this forum, I remember one woman talking about her husband, he was about to have a liver transplant (caused by hepatitis), and the bloods were still coming up okay.

I've always said that the liver doesn't have any nerve endings and so gives out no pain warning signals. A few people have come back and said, that is correct, but if the liver gets enlarged, it can cause it to rub other organs, which produce pain.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong, just don't go thinking that nothing picked up in your bloods, doesn't mean that nothing is wrong.

• Posted

You're absolutely right. Unfortunately the Liver fights till the end and only gives out the warning signs when it can't handle the job anymore (the liver can handle the job only functioning at 5-10%) But, even with that said there are a few thinks to keep an eye out for (IMHO) The Spider Angioma in someone younger than 40, with fatigue and morning nausea and or confusion, I would say is a tell tale sign that there is liver decompinsation. 40 years of age is NOT old and you're body should be functioning at a normal level. Remember @andrea30794, even if there is something wrong with you and you're not showing any great symptoms right now, seeing a doctor and getting your blood work done will help you live a much healthy happier life than just hoping there is something not wrong with you. Because if you let it go on for years, you will be much worse off than what you would be if you had seen a doctor. I'm sure you're ok, but get checked wink 
    • Posted

Well, I was 48 when it all went Pete Tong. Over the last two years I've read so much about alcohol, liver and all things wrong, but funnily enough, it was only about two weeks ago that I first saw Spider Angioma and I still haven't properly researched it.

Yeah, fatigue is a big one for a wrecked liver, nasuea I've only felt whilst doing cold turkey and the hepatic encephalopathy (confusion) is usually avoided if you eat well whilst drinking. It's when you live off alcohol and no food that that becomes a problem.

I had a letter from my gastro last week, which surprised me. Because of the way I am, I'd read up on cirrhosis, compensated and decompensated liver. But in the letter it said, amonst other things, 'i am pleased to say that he seems to have recompensated'. Didn't think that was possible.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I have seen a doctor 2 weeks ago all blood work done which was normal also test for h pylori which was negative 
    • Posted

Amazing. The body will treat you well when given a chance!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.