Normal T4, low tsh

Posted , 3 users are following.

After a month of carbimazole 30mg daily, my T4 dropped from 34 to 16 (9 - 25), but my tsh still remains at <0.01. Doctor has reduced dosage to 20mg daily. But the recent blood test also showed that i have grave diease.

I am concern if i might become hypo with the current dosage. My blood test is due in 2 weeks time.

Can somebody please advise? Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

When I was diagnosed, my disease was caught quite early before my values were too much out of range. I  was started on 10 mg of Methimazole and it immediately brought my FT3 and FT4 into the mid to high normal range and stayed there while I continued to take 10 mg of Methimazole.  My TSH however remained at less than 0.001 for two years.  Then I read a research article about the benefit of hyperthyroid patients taking 3,000 to 4,000 mg of regular L-Carnitine per day.  I also became aware that I had a vitamin D deficiency.  I added both those supplements and my TSH began to rise for the first time in 2 years.  It was only then that my Endo lowered my meds dose.  I then tried different carnitines and tried Acetyl-L-Carnitine and my TSH shot right up into the normal range and my Frees dropped down to the bottom of the normal range.  I have adjusted quite a lot but kept my values fairly constant since then.  My Endo adjusts my Methimazole, I adjust any supplements.  I currently take 2.5 mg of Methimazole four times a week.  I was down to 3 times a week but then had a major stress at work so it affected my values and I went back to 4 times a week.  I feel fairly good from my thyroid disease point of view and I could do this the rest of my life and be happy with it.
    • Posted

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the advice. I am quite keen to start vitamin D but is a bit concern about L carnitine as there might be side effect from taking it.

How about your daily diet? What kind of adjustment have you make?

• Posted

I got my carnitine levels tested before I started on it and they were deficient.  I had no side effects from the Regular L-Carnitine.  I am not a big meat eater, preferring fish and chicken.  I do not eat a lot of bread, mostly eat fruits, vegetables and love yogurt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.