Nortriptyline

Posted , 6 users are following.

Following my appointment to the neurologist, I have been prescribed Nortriptyline 10mg for 4 weeks. I was previously on Amitriptyline, and felt really bad while taking them. I did tell this to the neurologist hence why the 10mg. My only concern is becoming dependant on these tablets for a long period of time which as a 21 year old I do not wish too. Can anyone offer me any advice? I am finally getting sleep on my own as my body got used to the Amitriptyline. 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I could not take amitriptaline due to side effects I was therefore changed to sodium valproate with no side effects currently. I was started on 400mg but due to progression of illness I am now on 1200mg.
    • Posted

the Drs seem confused too suss out my issue! My gp did all he could then refererred me to a neurologist, now she says I'm fine and sent me back to my gp. I will be going back to my gp tomorrow to discuss. 
  • Posted

I was taken off amtriplene cos they made me ill have been on nortriptylene for 5mths and i cant come off them i got to cut them down they aint a very nice tablet
    • Posted

Alison, that is my only worry. I don't want to become dependent on these tablets. I did specify this to the neurologist but she did not knowledge it.
  • Posted

Hi Has

I've not had Nortriptyline but I am taking Amitriptyline (10mg nightly).  The Amitriptyline does not stop my migraines but do help me to sleep better.  I take almotriptan when a migraine starts.

If I were you I would take the Nortriptyline as prescribed as it is unlikely you would be addicted after four weeks.  The neurologist will be in a better position to review your treatment if you do take them.

All the best.

• Posted

uhi Veema 

i waS on Amitriptyline the same dose and same time as you. I slept better however I become really bad, drowsy and Not my normal self. My body became dependant on them in a week. I stopped taking them and I could not sleep, and just recently I've started going back to sleep on my own. 

The neurologist was of no help, she said "I'm fine" and sent me back to the care of my gp. Which, he tried to do everything he could. So I'm really not sure what to do. I've been off work for nearly 2 months and got a sick note for a further 6 weeks. 

• Posted

Hi Has,

when you return to your GP make sure they refer you to a Neurologist but a different one!  I am under the care of a Neurologist and he is monitoring my condition and medication until the blackouts stop and the symptoms are controlled.

I know it is hard when you feel so unwell but be persistent, it took a lot of persistence for me to see a Neurologist when I was admitted to hospital but I persevered and he was the only doctor that knew what was wrong provided a diagnosis and started treatment.  I have been diagnosed with Chronic Complex Basilar Migrainious syncope but to reach this I saw a General Surgeon, Medical Registrar, Gynacologist of which none could work out why I was collapsing and in terrible pain in my head and abdomen (I was also diagnosed with abdominal migraine).

I started treatment and am having longer periods of feeling better.  If you do not tolerate amitriptalyine there are other types of medication, I am currently on an anti seizure medication as I could not tolerate amitriptalyine.

Keep strong you will get better.

• Posted

hi Alex,

i went to to my gp Again. My personal gp is away so I was seen by a locum. She told me to try Propranolol 40mg for at least 6 weeks. I was on these on the past but she told me to take them for at least 6 weeks. If they do not work they can rule out migraines at least. I want to get better, which I'm sure we all do but it's just annoying me now. 

• Posted

Hi Has

How often are you getting migraines and have you got any other symptoms with it. Perhaps you could ask your GP to prescribe something to take only on the onset of a migraine.    

• Posted

Veema, I'm not sure if I even get migraines and neither was my gp hence why he sent me to a neurologist. I am getting a whole list of symptoms, my head is always hurting. This headache I've been having for 2 months now, it's never gone its calms down but always lingers around and then bam it gets worse. 
  • Posted

Do you suffer with dizziness?
    • Posted

A hell of a thing the nortriptilene have calmed the dizziness a little for me but my head is allways bad i practically live up my gps and they dont help at all .
    • Posted

me and you both I have been twice this week already. The neurologist did not seem to help either
    • Posted

No neither did the neuro i seen really dont think they know what to do with me 10 mths ago i never took tablets now ive ended up on nortriptilene stematil thyroxine and fluoxetine but yet im still giddy i paid to see another neuro private for a 2nd opinon that didnt help either im having acupuncture and see a healer weekly but nothing is helping .i live in hope theres a light at the end of the tunnel cos it has taken my life away from me too afraid too go out incase it comes worst but i havent seen a light yet.
    • Posted

Same. I suffer from heartburn acid reflux so on medication for that. In regards to all them medications are they helping you? If not you should stop taking them, my gp said if nothing works after a specific time you should stop taking it. I have a whole bag of medication but I only take my heartburn tablets and I have just started taking proponolol. 
    • Posted

I really dont know what to do the only thing that gives me any ease at all is stemetil i just feel ill all the time and my gp dont seem to know what is wrong ive seen neuros e.n.t ever so many doctors ive read up on homeopathy now thinking of giving them a go as i feel pretty desperate after 10 mths of being dizzy and my head bad all the time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.