Not a heavy drinker or meat eater, but I have gout?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Since a year ago, I have had several gout attacks. I drink wine occasionally. When I do, it is only about 2 glasses. sometimes I have one glass a week. I eat meat maybe once or twice a week and on a small portion. I can really do without meat. 

I usually eat bread, cheese, jam, cakes, chocolate, rice, potatoes, pasta with veggies and or meat, coffee, tea, sodas.

I really do not know what produces an excess of uric acid. 

Is anyone out there having the same issue?

I would love to hear how you overcome this issue.

Thank you!

Rob.

Note: My dad is a gout patient + I heard it is hereditary. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The clue is in your last sentence.

You almost certainly don't produce too much uric acid- just your kidneys don't flush it out as they did when younger.

Drink lots of water. Get your weight down to a BMI of under 25. And you'll probably have to take allopurinol.

Good luck and good health!

• Posted

Hi Robert, I will be 70 in November and had my first gout flareup last year. Hereditary, weight, diuretics and lifestyle and slowing down of the kidneys can be causes. Having two glasses of wine once in awhile will not hurt you. I don't think they really know what foods can cause an attack. The goal is to keep our Uric acid level below 6 to avoid a flareup. I struggled for a year with different medications. I had chronic gout flareups and thought I'd lose my mind. We think I have it under control now on 3 Allopurinol a day that I take in the morning with yogurt to avoid getting sick. To get to 3, I had numerous flareups but I had to keep taking it until I reached 3. I started with one, then one and a half, then two, etc. I have been free of flareups for a month now. Praying it will continue. My doctor had put me on prednisone when an attack started but it affected my breathing so I couldn't take it. They switched me to Indomethacin and it works amazing on the pain and swelling. I'm not a meat eater really so the Rheumatologist said to eat a lot of cheese. I am also trying to lose some weight for less pressure on my feet and I drink 64oz of seltzer a day. I don't like water and the doctor said seltzer would do the same thing. All I can do is keep it under control.

• Posted

Firstly Robert you are correct in the fact it is hereditary. In fact if you have any form of arthritis in your blood line you are more likely to get it. Although I drink alcohol I am a vegetarian, and regardless of what I do or don't drink I get pain in my foot, albeit the allupiranol keeps things in check. My advice is to take the drugs and live life to the full

• Posted

Hello, as you can see from responses, everybodys different and causes can be all over the place.

Need to talk to a rheumatologist, I know, I know, doctors s_ck, but...........

In some people it might only take a little of something to set it off, the wine, a little ground beef, bacon, sweets, fructose.

Ther is NO one right answer.  Sorry man, hang in there.

• Posted

If it only needs something small to trigger an attack it's because your tissues are already flooded with urate. Reduce that and the attacks will about. The way to do it? Allopurinol, plenty of water, and reduce your BMI to under 25.

• Posted

Rusty, if it was only that easy.

Allergic to allipurional, uloric, and colchicine(?), taking probenecid and prednisone, so not the greatest. So nothing easy.

Have fun

• Posted

Wow!

Can you try tiny amounts of allopurinol and try to accustom the body slowly? My experience was it was ok at first, then stomach problems then perfectly ok after I learnt to let it dissolve in my mouth. Just a suggestion; good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.