Not genital herpes?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I went to the doctor a couple of days ago with open sores on my vagina and she confidently told me I had genital herpes. She did a swab of the sores as well as a blood test. A couple days later she called me and told me I came back negative for all Std's as well as herpes. How is this possible? All of my symptoms were that of herpes, besides the fact this all happened very fast in the span of a week and I've read that a herpes first outbreak usually lasts for a month. If not herpes what else could have been going on with me?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The bloos test takes about 3 months after infection for the antibodies to show and for you to test positive, so if you recently contracted it, and the sores were just present for the first time you won't even test positive via the blood test for about 3 months. Additionally, even if she tested via swab, unless she got the virus when it was actually active they won't test positive.

Also, herpes doesn't necessarily last a month. My first OB ever lasted less than a week and was one sore that looked like a pimple. My last OB (have had a little over a year now) lasted 2 days.

Even though you tested negative, I would act as you are positive for the next few months (meaning no unprotected sex and notifying partners that you possibly might be positive) and then go back in 3 months and retest. One thing I have learned about this insidious virus is that it is a contagious virus (although the chances of spreading aree about 4% annually with regular sex with the same partner), but I got it after a ten second genital encouter with a guy I didn't even have sex with (stopped us before we started), so that gives you an indication of how contagious it can be. 

1 in 4 women have it, but only about 10% of those know that they have it due to no symptoms or mild symptoms (thinking it is an ingrown hair or a pimple).

• Posted

So if I go back in a couple months and I test positive does that mean that my partner I've been with for one year cheated on me since I just contracted it? Or could it still have been manifested in me and just had an outbreak for the first time?
    • Posted

No not at all. Rather your partner could have had it for the year that you have been with him and he happened to be an asymptomatic carrier and you engaged in sexual actions of some sort during a time when he was shedding. 

Another thought is that if you partner has cold sores on his mouth, or is a carrier for HSV 1 and you had oral sex, he has given you herpes this way as well (it still would take time for the antibodies to build to become evident in a test). I am also not sure if the swab test actually tests for HSV 1. He could also be an asymptomatic carrier for HSV 1 and wouldn't know he had it, and performed oral during a time he was asymptomatically shedding. The good thing about HSV 1, is while you still are now a carrier for genital herpes HSV1, apparently the OBs are less (maybe once a  year or once every few years), and while it is still contagious, it is apparently harder to pass on.

There is a possibility that he could have cheated, that is always possible (but I definitely would not go there as I don't think most people are cheaters, but this is my naivete), but if that is something that you suspect and you have reason to think so, then if he did and he just caught it, he also wouldn't test positive for the three months. YOu could always have a conversation with him about your diagnosis, and that 90% of the people who have it don't know that they are carriers and ask if he could get tested (for both HSV 1 and 2). 

With that being said, even if he comes back negative (given the chance that you mentioned that you think that there is a possibility of cheating) I would still go and get retested in 3 months and ask for IgG ests for HSV1 and HSV 2.

• Posted

you should defintely count your blessings .. 

if your swab tests came back negative just be thankful..

you couldve had thursh or something ..

some people dont have symptoms they just get bumps ..

and some people do .

it just all differs 

what kind of things were you going through?

• Posted

It started as soreness around my vagina and then bumps came and then they turned into open sores that were very painful, especially when I urinated. That's when I went to the doctor. Then they turned into giant pimple looking things, with white heads on them. Now they're healing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.