Not PMR or MPS but could be osteomalacia

Posted , 3 users are following.

After 9 months and Having a possible diagnosis of PMR then MPS it now looks as though it's osteomalacia or stress fractures.    I have renal failure and this at least looks a possibility.  I now see some light at the end of the tunnel and know it can be treate, although it could take 6 months. However I don't see someone for definite answer until end November and am on pred  20mg and anti inflamatories.  Has anyone had this and should I still be on steroids etc.   Am keen to come off steroids if poss.   The pain is quite unbearable in my thighs and shoulder.  Any help would be appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi

I share your desire to come off steroids, as I also struggled to get off them. (i was not taking them for the same reason as you.) but they have to be treated carefully and it is not possible to just stop them.

i think that the best thing would be to see your GP. or at least to telephone your GP to check what you should do.

also, would the pain be worse if you come off the steroids?

good luck.

• Posted

Thanks dambudzo not sure about the steroids and pain but am waiting on a return call from GP.
  • Posted

Although this is an old post, osteomalacia and corticosteroids like prednisone don't go together very well because steroids increase bone resorption and antagonise vitamin D. Anyone taking steroids who may have osteomalacia should discuss their continued use with their doctor as they will slow down recovery and should be discontinued if possible.
  • Posted

Hi Marjorie, i was diagnosed with PMR sept 14 and have been on pred since. The doctor has done LOADS of blood tests in the past couple of months and the only blood test that's come back abnormal is the vitamin d....today the doctor has told me she doesn't think i have PMR so basically anything you're asking Marjorie i'm asking the same...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.