Not RA after all!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just had hospital results.  'Only' - Active OA, Gout and Migatory Arthritis (apart from PMR!!).  Still pleased though - it's not 'bones'.  I guessed my rheumy was wrong (he's very rarely right!!) he just wants everyone off Pred yesterday, if not before!

Lots of pain still, but I'll learn to cope better now.

Greetings to you all.  Keep smiling. Constance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi There,

What were the determinimg tests? I have been told it is either RA,OA or Freibergs disease. I have had allot of blood tests and now need another MRI for final determination. Its all a bit vague I feel. My symptons for the past two years are certainly not vague.

• Posted

Bloods and x-rays.  Symptoms certainly not vague.  Although, for me, difficult to say whether it's my PMR or OA playing up.

Have a pain free day!  C. 💐

• Posted

Hi Constance;  glad that you don't have RA as well, as that would have been an extra lot of pain..........Gout is a form of Arthrites, but usually only affects one/some smaller joints, and is much easier to control than RA.....(the people who say it is due to drinking too much alcohol are too wrong....and makes the patient feel ashamed, which is wrong).....OA is heriditary in my father's side, and myself and 2 siblings suffer from same...and one from gout in big toe (bought on by shell-fish...he loves seafood but can't eat prawns/crabs etc)........your Prednisone still needs to be taken for your PMR, but I don't think it will help your OA/Gout.....so you may need to trial some Panadol and Allopurinall (this for Gout when it flares).....and also some NSAIDS when the OA gets too much (but be careful re these as they can also cause stomach ulcers)....I have also stopped eating Acidic foods like oranges/tomatoes etc (even though I always enjoyed my oranges and tomatoes with a salad)......look up the diet for OA and Gout and you will find what suits you............good luck and take care, as you have a lot to deal with...............Bron
  • Posted

Just be aware that 20% of RA sufferers are sero-negative, meaning it doesn't show up in their bloods and has to be diagnosed clinically.

A bit of a drag because it takes a long time to get a diagnosis, if a formal diagnosis is necessary (for insurace claims for eg).

But finally, the treatment is the same.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.