Not sleeping

Posted , 7 users are following.

As most of us have experienced no doubt, getting a good night's sleep can be difficult. I've tried 5-HTP tablets which haven't really helped and was recommended a serotonin spray which has certainly helped making me drowsy enough to get to sleep quickly sometimes but the effect is patchy.

Has anyone just asked their doctor for sleeping pills for a week or 2? And if so, did they work?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi phil

On ongoing experience please dont go down that route. I was given a drug called mirtazapine for help with sleep lack of appetite and depression and its turned my world upside down.

All these drugs have horrible side effects and i wish id tried natural remedies.

As you know with m.e fatigue dizziness is a huge factor and any strong meds doctors give out usually have this as a side effect.

There is one thats called phenergan its actually an antihistamine drug and im not sure if you can get it without prescriotion though but normal antihistamines as long as youre not on any medication that interacts.

Have you tried the bach remedies? Or even lavender spray for pillow. I dont drink but a dash if whisky or brandy in a hot drink!

• Posted

Hi Kelly, thanks.

A friend suggested 1 for a week or so - she'd used them and they'd helped. But obviously I'd only ever want them for a very short period.

I've stayed away from SSRIs (despite my GPs both wanting to put me on them) as I'm not in the slightest depressed.

I've tried a few natural things, like herbal teas and herbal tablets, hypnotherapy and meditation and so on. I can sleep but only for about 3-5 hours in 1 go. And then after 5 that will be that - I could really do with 6 hours without a break every night. When I do sleep for say, 7 hours total, I feel at least somewhat better for doing so. But its 1 day every couple of weeks if I'm lucky.

Not tried the bach remedies. My wife loves the smell of lavender but it makes me queasy! lol So I don't think that would work for me smile Hadn't thought about an antihistamine actually - I take those in the summer for hay fever so maybe that would be worth a go. Thanks for the warning on the mirtazapine.

• Posted

Thats the thing with anti depressants they prescribe them for anxiety and sleep and eating problems and have no idea the side effects/withdrawls they cause .

Id try a piriton on something like that one of the ones that make you a little sleepy and see hiw it goes.

Yeah lavender makea me feel sick too. Could try a camomile spray.

• Posted

I suppose my initial question was driven by wondering if there was a magic pill that would just knock me out for 7 hours straight, without much in the way of side effects. Maybe there isn't!

The serotonin spray makes me drowsy ok but I still find myself waking up in the night - last night after about 45 minutes! Then I dropped off for almost 6 hours (so that was a good night for me, overall).

I'll give the antihistamines a go though - still have some from the summer. Thanks smile

• Posted

Its melatonin spray, not serotonin - bloody brain forgets everything at the moment! lol
  • Posted

I take amitryptilyn (not sure on spelling) and 600mg of gabapentin which usually works well but at the moment I am not sleeping myself despite all of the drugs!

Mazpaz

• Posted

Thanks for that; I hope you get some relief again quickly!
    • Posted

Hi Phil; I am thinking that maybe you could trial what I have been using for over 18+ months, and feel they suit me (& others too).  It is a brand of Melatonin tabs, and assists with the REM stage of sleep:  I have also given 1 tablet at a time to 3 of my children who have problems with having a proper night's sleep (they all have over-active brains that just don't shut down......they continue to work while  "supposedly asleep"wink.  It works like a sleeping tablet for them, and knocks them out.

?For me, it gives me a good, restorative sleep, with none of the "brain-fog" that many complain of.

?If you would like the brand that I  use, Private Message me and I will give you the details.                                                    Bron

• Posted

Hi Phil, when I explained to my GP that my sleep was totally unrefreshed , he suggested I try Amaltryptaline. One of its uses is depression..which I am not, but another is for help with pain..helpful with my fibromyalgia and another is help for sleep.

That was 3 years ago and I have never looked back. I only take half of what was prescribed to me and am very happy with the 10mcg. What I do find is that not only do I go straight to sleep but I know that I reach the deep sleep stages, hence I wake up feeling as tho I have actually had some sleep! I know it's horses for courses..but may be worth a shot.

• Posted

Thanks Libby, I'll do some research. Very glad you've found something that works for you smile

• Posted

Have you ever tried Melatonin?
    • Posted

Thanks kellyzboyz: I am thinking that you may have answered one of my questions, as I have been advising others to trial Melatonin (including Phil), and wondering if this works for others as it does for me.  if you are suggesting same, then I am thinking that you have trialled same, and have had a good result, too?                      Bron
    • Posted

I have yes - I put serotonin in my original post but its actually a melatonin spray. Sometimes it works pretty well, sometimes not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.