Not sure if I have lyme disease?Please help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello! Last Sunday, I was talking on the phone for around 30 minutes and after I hung up I noticed that a bug had bitten me within that time span (I am sure that no bug was latched onto my legs before that). A couple days before, a black tick landed on my arm in my house and I flung it off instead of killing it. First, the bite looked like this 30 minutes after I discovered it: http://i66.tinypic.com/2h4yo1k.jpg 

The bite was initially swollen, raised, and EXTREMELY itchy for the first couple of days. Then 3 days later, I noticed that the bite had started to take a bulls-eye shape. I have NO other symptoms of lyme disease but my friend had lyme disease so I wanted to stay safe and went to my doctor. She saw the bite and diagnosed me with lyme disease and put me on ONLY 2 weeks of doxycycline since she said I'm at the very early localized stage. I am wondering if this prescription is enough since we caught it super early or if I should ask for more? And if the chances that I will make a full recovery are high? I am a 17 year old female about to start college soon. 

ALSO if the tick DID bite me, it only latched on for around 20-30 minutes so could it be possible that it transmitted lyme's disease in the short amount of time? I read that it takes more than 24 hours? 

This is what the bite looks like currently: http://i65.tinypic.com/2cdjzwh.jpg It is not swollen/raised anymore but it is itchy when I touch it.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

What a blessing you went to the Dr and he/she had the sense to give you the Doxycycline. You need 4mg per Kilo of weight  twice a day and for three weeks and then all should be well and you will be spared the misery that undiagnosed Lyme causes.

So  If you haven't been prescribed enough go back and get more and for that extra week.

• Posted

Sorry ONCE a day! Not twice but you can check dosage by looking on various Lyme websites.

You are lucky your doctor acted promptly.

Uk doctors either are rubbish(for the most part) at diagnosing Lyme or they have been told to ignore it as so many here have a great struggle to get any treatment.

Guess the NHS can't afford any more diseases that will need long term .

treatmen tor even short term treatment.

Most here have to seek private treatment.

Your photo looks exactly like one I gor years ago. It itched and swelled for a week and then disappeared.

We had so many midge and other bites in the garden that we never bothered.

and following that w ehad a kind of bad flu with pain in all joints and that left us with arthritis.

• Posted

Hi, that is wonderful you caught it so quickly!!  If you start getting any fatigue or symptoms that you know are not you then go back to the doctor right away.  You definitely have a great chance of being totally well, so happy for you but just pay attention to your health for any symptoms. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.