Not sure it's fibromyalgia

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello - I decided to give this forum a try. I had a partial knee replacement in Nov and that forum was really helpful. Anyway, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 5 years ago. I'm not really sure I believe it. I have Raynauld's and pain, especially in my neck and shoulders. I seem to be predisposed to tendinitis and bursitis. I had the tendon in my left elbow repaired and have had numerous injections in my left knee and both hips for bursitis. Ever once in a while something happens to my vision but they did every eye test available and said my eyes were good. Last year they told me I had ventricular tachycardia, but said that was just the way my heart worked. Anyway, my symptoms seem to flare up for about a month then go away or get to the point where I can deal with them. I have other weird things that are going on. I work full time and don't really let on that I feel like crap most of the time. Any advice for how I can figure out what's really going on? Is it fibro and if so I guess everyone feels differently with it?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandy,

Sorry to hear you've been through such a tough time.

Like you, I have terrible pain in my joints, hips and dodgy vision and I was originally dx with Fibro by my GP, but on seeing the Rheumy was told I have Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (JHS) also known as Ehler-Danlos Syndrome Hypermobility Type (EDS-HT).

This condition is popular with people who are or were double jointed. It is apparently an under-diagnosed condition, but EDS has various types some which can be dangerous.

Main symptoms are:

loose joints.

easy bruising.

muscle pain.

muscle fatigue.

chronic degenerative joint disease.

premature osteoarthritis.

chronic pain.

heart valve problems.  

If you have ever been double jointed and have any of the above symptoms it may be worth looking into.

Take care  

Erykah

• Posted

Hi erykah . . Everything except the heart valve problems, but only double jointed in my thumbs . . not sure if I have this, or fibro, and there don't really seem to be many ways of being sure!
    • Posted

Hi Erykah, I am not double jointed and they said my valves are good. My chiro mentioned chronic lyme but I haven't bee abe to find any info on that. I'm not really looking to be medicated, a friend of my husband has stage 3 kidney failure from his fibro treatment. I just want to know I'm not crazy. Thanks for the post!
  • Posted

Hi sandybug . .I think I remember you on the knee forum! My TKR was last January.  Most of what you are saying is exactly the same with me, apart from the tachycardia which i don't have.  Also diagnosed fibromyalgia about ten yearsago, have all the painful points typical of the condition. .also had a knee replacement, bursitis in both shoulders, tedinitis in wrist, thumb and now in both ankles.  pain is ever present, and it does get you down.  surprisingly, I have also had some weird vision problem and also loss of feeling in my legs.  I also wonder about the fibro diagnosis, as although I am never free of pain, there are times when it is much better, and times when just turning over in bed is hell.  I know many people are much more affected by this condition . . and as there doesn't seem to be any certain way of diagnosing it, one often wonders.  I would love a day or two without pain but don't somehow think it's going to happen!  I take Lyrica now for nerve pain in my thigh which was a result of the TKR . . but don't really notice much difference except that I no longer have to get up every night to go to the loo!!!!  
    • Posted

Hey, yes I remember you. That forum got me through some tough days after the surgery. Sounds like we have a lot of the same issues. My understanding of fibro was that it was pain, it didn't actually affect joints (like destroying them). Hopefully we both find out what's going on
  • Posted

Hi, I to am unconvinced I have fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed last week by rheumatologist. After years of suffering, tests, scans etc, she simply asked a few questions, tested my joints. Told me I had slight hyper mobility then gave me a leaflet on fibromyalgia. The symptoms certainly do match, however I do not feel depressed. Maybe slightly irritable, but constant pain can do that lol. I told my cousin who is a nurse and she said she did not believe such a condition existed and it was simply a name doctors gave to a condition they are unable to diagnose 😞 I was angry with her as my pain is very real. But she said she believed the symptoms of fibromyalgia match countless other conditions and I should not stop asking to be tested for other possibilities. Basically she believe that fibromyalgia is a description of symptoms for an as yet undiagnosed ailments. Kind of makes sense.

I have always believed i have some type of food intolerance, certainly my pain appears to lessen when I avoid gluten or dairy. Both of these are well documented to cause similar symptoms to fibromyalgia. The issue is there are no specific tests to confirm intolerance, only allergies i.e. celiac.

When I removed gluten from my diet, my pain reduced significantly enough to notice the difference. On reintroduction my ailments came back. On avoiding dairy I also noticed a difference to my skin also my dark eye circles reduced.

I also find symptoms are worse during my periods, so perhaps hormones play a part in it as well. My mother went through an early menopause(40) I am now 41.

Doctors seem reluctant to look further into any of this, they say things like no family history or your far to young etc it is so frustrating.

I also hate being made to feel like a hypochondriac, so although I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I still want to find out what is causing it xxx

• Posted

hi i also question if every symptom i have can realy all be fibro. there are test for dairy intolerence its a breath test for lactose intolerence ( mine was organised by gastroenterology ask your GP) it was posative. im not sure about gluten other than test for celiac (blood test not always reliable a biopsy test can be done this is reliable also done by gastro ) its a simple test with sedation. menopause can also be tested by GP its just a hormone blood test
    • Posted

Thanks Vicky, I have doctors tomorrow, going to ask about testing my hormone levels, she dismissed this before as she said I'm to young, but when I told her my mum was similar age she just said that I was a different generation and it was highly unlikely. Going to insist, if they are ok it just crossed another box off 😀 Have to have a test for lupus redone aswell as last test showd a positive negative result, meaning it was inconclusive. Hope you are keeping well xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.