Not sure now why I was even taking PPI

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, wrote a couple of weeks ago about the worry of stopping PPI's due to an endoscopy on Monday. Expected it to be hell, it was uncomfortable for a couple of days and I did sneak a ranitidine, but have not touched esomeprazole for 7 days now and I have been taking between 20mg and 40mg per day for nearly 9 years now.  I feel better than ever, my stomach is less swollen, I feel calmer around the stomach area if you know what I mean.  I have been taking the odd swig of gaviscon, but acid very mimimal, white frothy stuff in mornings virtually gone.  I have just been taking the PPI year in year out without bothering to see if the original acid symptoms are still there. I hope my endoscopy of Monday is clear. it is to see if excess antib's and supplements have damaged my stomach, the gastritis symptons have all gone so no pain, am hopeful of a good outcome, although am wondering if the lack of symptoms after so long is a good thing.  Just being anxious I suppose, but it all ok will speak to GP about staying off completely and just taking ranitidine if needed.

So, if like me, you are taking them and not really having symptoms, they are not that bad to come off and worth a try if only to stop putting medication into your system when something less aggresive would help.  

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello,

I reduced then stopped the PPI I was taking by halving the daily amount, then taking half every other day for two weeks or so, and because I had adopted the six - now seven - smaller meals per day, of foods that proved non-aggravating to the gastritis, I was then able to know where I stood in terms of real progress. On the PPI I was actually worse in a way, and I couldn't tell very well what foods were helping or harming. But the pills likely did help with the initial reduction of my swollen stomach, and then helping via the smaller, gentler meals continued the progress. But I am not free of the trouble. It takes sticking to the rules I've established for myself, and days and periods can vary.

Each person's case can be unique, so it is a matter for them to experiment and try things, and gather as much advice and suggestions that might help with their specific issues. Not everyone should or might be able to stop their medicines, but I am glad I was able to and still make slow progress. If I hadn't altered my diet and meals-size, however, I have no doubt I would still be as ill as I was, so to simply stop taking medicines without having eradicated any known underlying causes or exacerbating factors could result in the same trouble redeveloping. So, again, consider all the advice and helpful measures for your particular issues and case, with diet and so on, and hopefully you'll do well. Your doctor will also give their important advice.

• Posted

Hi, yes you are right, if you need them do not just come off, I had no choice and am glad it was not as drastic as expected, especially as they say do not stop cold turkey and then give you 18 days notice to stop for 2 weeks. What I hope to find out on Monday is whether there is anything actually wrong, if not I will try to stay off, but if I need them I will start again, though maybe a lower doze. I have just eaten chocolate and wish I hadn't so obviously not completey cured, just a little less reliant on the tablets at the minute. Take care
  • Posted

That sounds like good news to me and something I might try myself although I have not  been on my PPIs anywhere nearly as you have been.

I am desperate to get off of them because without going into great detail my sexual desires have plummeted since I have been on them.

• Posted

Hi, I am female and menopausal so have other excuses for that, but all you do is try slowly and reduce the amount. I also have 150mg ranitidine prescribed and can take 2 which seems to work just as well, although in a different way and make you not so dependant upon them, so unless you have something which means you should keep taking thr PPI try to come off or speak to your GP about a stronger ranitadine.
  • Posted

I was exactly the same as you and had to come off Omeprazole and ranitidine before christmas ready for an endoscopy and was panicking that i would be in agony, but surprisingly after the first few days the acid reflux seemed to disappear and since the endoscopy hasnt reappeared. Unfortunately i have all of the same pains in my stomach which i was hoping might also be due to the meds but at least no acid reflux is a step in the right direction, so anyone thinking of trying it it might be worth a try
    • Posted

Hi, how did your endoscopy go? I am a bit worried, I had one awake before and it was awful so am being sedated this time, just do not want bad news. I have just started taking zinc also which was mentioned for GERD and gastritis and it may be that is helping to reduce the acid. My pains this time are due to a lot of anti b's and supplements, I appear to be allergic to the casings and cannot take ibuprofen under any circumstances as it burns like hell. That could that be why you have stomach pains if you are taking any other types of pills. Take care
    • Posted

Hi, antibiotics really mess up our guts microbiome. A healthy microbiome is essential to getting well or staying healthy. There's fascinating work being done with fecal (poo ) transplants that shows just how important this is. Makes for fascinating reading.

I've come off PPP's a couple of times with no rebound, but slowly over time seem to slip back. I saw a new doctor awhile ago and he was horrified that I was on PPP's and prescribed Ranitide instead which worked better with no tolerance build up. Now almost off the Rani's. I've learn't from trial and error that I can't get cocky and assume I'm cured and have to stick to a bland, easily digestible diet.

Luck

• Posted

Hi, I also am finding ranitidine works well, but did have chocolate yesterday and wished I hadn't. I am also taking probiotics which seem to be helping. Will also look up the poo reports. Take care
  • Posted

My endoscopy went well in the fact that they found nothing wrong. Even though I had one a year ago which showed gastritis and oesophagi this but both have cleared up. I am still waiting for results of biopsies taken though. I had sedation on both and definitely recommend it. You hardly even know what's happening. 

I had wondered about the casings to pills as I read somewhere about someone else having this problem. The question is how long do you cut them out for before knowing if this is the problem.

i seem to be intolerant to so many foods it's so boring at meal times.

when is your endoscopy and do you get any other pains.

good luck

• Posted

Hi. It is tomorrow afternoon. I have tried reintroducing vitamins but within a few hours burning back, I now take dissolvable ones without problems. I also gave diverticula so sometimes not sure what pain us what. I know what wine, chocolate and cheese give me acid so only have occasionally. Will report back with results tomorrow. Have a good day

• Posted

Good luck x
    • Posted

Hi Nicola, well 1 hour before endoscopy the hospital called and cancelled it. Was really not happy as had not eaten for hours and was getting really worked up, it has been rebooked for 28th.  I have been trying to get this done since September, as nothing has worsened in all that time hopefully all will be well.  One thing I did notice and I am not a great believer in stress doing all these things, but having not had serious acid for nearly 2 weeks, yesterday morning my throat and chest were burning with acid.  Within an hour of the cancellation it virtually gone again, so will perhaps have to rethink the stress side of things.  Also noticed that the past few days have woken with a sore lumpy throat and what feels like bits of nut in the back.  So perhaps need to up rantitidine.  
    • Posted

Oh thats awful. I cant believe hospitals play with peoples lives and feelings like this. Luckily the 28th isnt too far off but its horrible that you had gone through all that stress and lack of food for nothing.

I do agree with you about stress although i have pain all the time so either im mega stressed up or theres other reasons aswell.

Try upping your Ranitidine a bit and see if it makes a difference. Have you also tried apple cider vinegar as ive heard it can work but never actually tried it as to me it sounds like too much acid.

I do take activated charcoal capsules which i think also help, although as im trying the no pill route at the moment (incase im alergic to the casings) i went into Holland and Barrett today to ask if i could just open up the capsules and swallow which they said yes so how much they work like that remains to be seen.

Good luck x

• Posted

Yes, chocolate and cheese hit me as well, my last trial for a treat being with some chocolate biscuit pieces for a few days with meals until they worsened the trouble. I have read, though, that white chocolate is caffeine-free, and will try a small daily amount of that sometime, for caffeine is bad for gastritis in many cases. Fat is generally bad too, at least in too high an amount at one go, hence the trouble with cheese and butter. I actually sneak a little butter in with my mixed cereal. The delicious Fortisip drinks I'm having presently - a bottle a day spread across my seven mealtimes - are giving me around 12 grams of extra fat and 300 calories, which is marvellous, as I couldn't get my weight high enough due to food limitations. I'm always looking to new non-aggravating food ideas, to get more calories in, and Farley's Rusks (one added to my two daily cereals or eaten as biscuits) and Fig Roll biscuits are two more experiments I've lined up. Cadbury's White Chocolate Fingers are another possible. Oh, what joy if I could have such a treat and get away with it! Anything to increase the variety of my usual foods and increase weight. Best wishes for tomorrow.
    • Posted

I am really lucky in the apart from wine, chocolate, fresh orange juice and too much cheese nothing really affects me that badly. I struggle to lose weight as cannot have a lot of salads and seeds etc due to diverticular so my diet is quite beige.  Unfortunately op was cancelled and re-scheduled until 28th which is a pain but there is nothing I can do about it, just hope that when I do have it they do not find anything too horrible.  I am not sure I like the sound of butter in cereals, but there again I am not a great cereal/milk lover apart from porridge. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.