Not sure of negative results

Posted , 2 users are following.

I got a blood test a month to the day after first exposure and came back negative for both Herpes I and II. I still haven't shown any visual symptoms, the only real symptom I've felt is the leg tingling/ muscle spams and a pain, something like a Charlie horse behind my left thigh. I'm not sure if this is all in my head and being extra sensitive to these sensations and making mountains of mole hills.

I'm going to go in for another test in a month or two just to be sure.

I'm just asking if the blood test is a good indication that I don't have it (as I may have gotten the test too soon).

At least for now I have a little peace of mind.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

A negative IgG result is always a good sign, but one month is a bit borderline. However, you've not had any visible symptoms, so that's good. The tingling is probably psychosomatic or due to heightened awareness. Just make sure the blood test is for IgG antibodies, not IgM, and retest at 3 months.

• Posted

Thank you feliscatis, you've replied to one or two of my other posts and I really really appreciate your responses, very helpful and informative.

And I agree, I think it's mostly psychosomatic too, I've been reading a lot about it and the more o read the more I "feel" the symptoms because when I don't think about it I don't feel it at all.

I'm trying to keep optimistic and positive about all this. But not too "positive" lol

I'll definitely retest at 3 months

• Posted

Always happy to help! smile Yes, it's amazing what the mind can do to the body, so keep yourself calm and distracted, and you probably won't notice any such sensations and it will be 3 months in no time. You can even do an extra test at 2 months if you want. That would be more representative. Otherwise just wait until 3 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.