Not sure what I've got

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a 19 year old, very healthy male and just today I started getting itches all over my body, these bumps have appeared all over me especially where I've been scratching it. There is red spots all over my body  One of my eyelids has gotten swollen and I'm feeling hot all over,

I wasn't sure if these were symptoms of shingles or not but one of my co workers said he got over shingles a few days ago so I got worried. I am not sure if it could be shingles or not but any help as to what it might be or advice for how to handle it would be greatly appreciated.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Grassytiger

Shingles is not contagious in that you can't catch Shingles, only chickenpox .

Usually, Shingles is on one side of the body, not both. In certain cases it crosses the midline, but not often. Have you had chickenpox before, as you definitely need to have had chickenpox before you get Shingles.

It is possible that you are having an allergic reaction to something.

Usually, with Shingles, you feel sick like you are getting the flu.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

You need to see a Dr so you can get it diagnosed  and if it is shingles you will need medication.asap, Good luck
    • Posted

Jane is absolutely correct.

Go to A& E immediately.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Grassy tiger,

I would take a cool shower to calm the irritated skin. If you have any Benadryl and no allergies, take one 25 mg tablet. Do not drive or operate any machine. That should help the itching.

Let me know if the rash is still there.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello Merry

My son once had a very bad rash and it got worse , I had suggested he had a cool shower in case it was something like washing powder that had caused it, but it didn't help and his face started to swell. I rang NHS and was told to take him straight  to A and E and glad I did as it turned outy to be an allergic reaction to something he had eated with chic pea flour,(he only found this out  later on after tests)  He had no idea had any allergies! 

People tend to ask others  for a diagnosis on this forum but surely they need to see a Dr first so the rash can be looked at to diagnose the correct illness. I am so grateful for all your suppurt but I already  knew what was wrong when I looked for advice as there are so many things that could cause a rash,

• Posted

Jane,

You are absolutely correct in what you are saying.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

You can not get Shingles from someone having Shingles, the only time a person with shingles is contagious is if a person never had chicken pox and you touched their shingle sores....then you would likely get the chicken pox.  It is not commin for shingles to go over the entire body, it usually picks one side of the body.  To me it sounds like two things, either an allergic reaction to something.....or you have some other type of virus.  If you are concerned, I would see a doctor, but this case doesn't sound like shingles, although shingles can cause itch, it is more painful than anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.