Not sure what this means . . . help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had an MRI scan a few weeks ago and it states the following:

MRI Spine Cervical: Normal appearance of the craniocervical junction.

Cord signal is normal throughout the cervical spine.

There is a Grade 1 retrolisthesis at C5/6 associated with a diffuse disc osteophytic bar which narrows the anterior subarachnoid space.

There is thickening of the ligamenta flava at the same level and bilateral foraminal narrowing. At C6/7, there is a diffuse disc osteophytic bar which produces mild narrowing of the anterior subarachnoid space and mild bilateral foraminal narrowing, little more marked on the right side.

There is no significant thecal sac or nerve toor compression elsewhere in the cervical spine.

At T1/2, THERE IS A PROMINENT LEFT LATERAL DISC/OSTEOPHYTE INDENTING VENTRAL SURFACE OF THECA AND PRODUCING MILD NARROWING OF THE LEFT EXIT FORAMEN.

THERE IS NO COMPRIMISE OF CORD.

I had huge amount of pain at Christmas and was in bed for 2 weeks on a lot of painkillers with pain travelling from my neck to shoulder - right down my right arm to my hand.

Left weak in this arm now and still in some pain.  Get tension in my head which often produces headaches.

Can anyone shed light on what my results mean in non-medical speak terms?

thanks

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi jeff

There is alot of information you have given that I do not understand, but it sounds like a slipped disc.

Hasn't your doctor/consultant spoken to you about your MRI scan yet ?

Kev  (UK)  rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Kev

My doctor was (as always in a bit of a rush) and I perhaps should have asked for a more simplistic overall - it's this essentially - but I forgot anything/everything he said.

I night have to go back and ask :-(

• Posted

Hi Jeff:

I was reading other posts petaining to you.  You mention that the doctor was in a rush like always.  Have you sat down and mention your concerns?  Any good doctor will talk to you.  Rushing is not an answer.  Sometimes doctors disregard patients concerns.  I had some myself.  Doctors just spend so much time with a patient and go to the next one.  They are under pressure by insurance companies.  In order for them to practice, is to set a time limit for a patient which absolutely is crap.  Medical now is quite different than it was years ago.  I have to a number of doctors; they sit down with you asking questions about your physical problems and punch it all into the computer which takes some time.  The problem is all the time is nearly spent on the computer and seem to have hardly any time to examine the patient.  This is a true fact.  I looked up some of the terminology in question and this is what I found.

Retrolisthesis as a compensatory mechanism in degenerative lumbar spine.

Posterior vertebral translation as a type of spondylolisthesis, retrolisthesis is observed commonly in patients with degenerative spinal problems. Nevertheless, there is insufficient literature on retrolisthesis.

Ligamenta flava

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligamenta_flava

The ligamenta flava (singular, ligamentum flavum, Latin for yellow ligament) are ligaments of the spine.

According to Laser Spine Institute, neural foraminal narrowing occurs when the nerve passageways in the spine constrict on one or both sides of the spine

A disc osteophyte complex is a spinal abnormality in which the space between vertebrae calcifies and hardens.

Degenerative conditions causing Disc Osteophyte Complex if identified early enough can be treated with conservative approaches using medications

Believe me, there is lots more and can be very detailed.  You also can find out more using google search and put in some of the fragments of medical terms.  You will be surprised what can be found.  It seems that patients like you and I have to do our own research and think out the questions to ask the doctor but not the extensive medical jargon.  Then they say, "oh you are doing own diagnosis"?  It does appear to be that way.  They get mad because they are the doctor and y ou are mentioning things that seem like you are telling them how they should conduct their business.  It's too bad the doctors have that mindset.  But it is only a few doctors that do.  You have to use judgement for that on how to approach these doctors.

You have to find out what is going on in your body.  There should be mutual conversation on both of you.  If you are unable to get a satisfactory answer then the only means is to seek another doctor. Sometimes, we have to go through some of them to get the right one. All I can say is good luck to you and hopefully you will get to the bottom of this.

mel

• Posted

Jeff, Mel, otherwise known as Tiger, is so right. You deserve a doctor who will take the time to answer your questions. If he won't answer your questions now

, where will you be if he does a procedure that causes a problem. Do you think he will listen to you then? Tiger and I are talking from experience.

Good luck.

Linda

• Posted

Hi Jeff, your main problem seems to be the osteophyte which is a bone spur. It is pressing on your spinal column around the bottom part of your neck. I would recommend going to see a neurosurgeon. Maybe they can do a relatively mild surgery and "shave" off the bone spur. O would also be checked for arthritis to see if this is what is causing your problems. Best of luck to you.

Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.