Not the best way to lower your pred.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Just about to close my eyes last night, 10:00 pm when something made me think about my pred schedule. My mind went back to the morning and I could not remember taking my dose. I had to get and check in the kitchen. Sure enough the dose had not been touched. There I was trying how to figure out my course of action. No pred for about 38 hours and no symptoms. I decided I needed something to avoid a bad morning so I took about half a dose (my dose at 9.5). No PMR symptoms this AM and I took the other half dose. How do I get back on schedule?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Interesting - you may not have a bad morning but on the safe side I would just start back on the 'normal' dosage??
    • Posted

No choice but to get by on what I have taken this morning and get back to normal in the tomorrow.
  • Posted

Me too orangejohn, I once forgot to take my morning  dose and it must have been at about 6pm in the evening when I really did begin to feel very ill. No pain or stiffness but terribly fatigued. My husband asked me if I'd taken my medication and I replied yes. I went downstairs and there the medication was on the sideboard. 

I immediately took that day's dose, then the following day took the dose at lunchtime, then the following day took it at the normal 8am.

now I have one of the tablet dispensing trays so no more problems.

in your case I would definitely take the normal dose today too and tomorrow back to normal. Regards, tina

• Posted

Paul you were lucky, when I did that (twice) I was in agony! The notes on my pred say if you forget to take it, don't double the dose just carry on as normal. Presumably when you remember.
  • Posted

Buy Dosset box and put it on your bedside table.

Go back to where you were and start again, watching out for a flare.

If that does happen, hit it hard and fast for a couple of day.

We have all done it at sometime or other.

• Posted

You could have just taken the full dose the next morning. Just go back to normal - it'll be fine as long as you have no symptoms. This might be a sign you could get away with a bit less?
  • Posted

As lodgerUK NE says, we all do this occasionally.

Not usually a big deal for me, but yes, symptoms may flare somewhat for a day or three.

I find it to be a useful experiment. Though not deliberate, it keeps me informed as to my degree of dependence on Pred, so might help me better stay on top of ordering refills on time.

I have read elsewhere more than once that, as Eileen just commented, one should simply pick up where they left off and resume normal dosaging the next morning.

For someone who was holding off a more serious case, such as with temporal arteritis, a more regimented schedule might be more important though.

• Posted

For GCA, yes, it is important not to miss doses but everyone has done it and knowing you shouldn't doesn't really help much in the event!

Really, if you remember halfway through the day then taking it late isn't going to be the end of the world. If you forget it for 24 hours then you are likely to be reminded quite forcibly! The antiinflammatory effect lasts for 12 to 36 hours depending on the person. If you are at the 36 hour end of the spectrum it probably won't matter and you won't notice it at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.