Noticed a bald patch this morning! And it's kinda painful/burning/itching. Help?

Posted , 8 users are following.

This morning while brushing my hair I noticed some tenderness in one area of my scalp, near my hairline by my forehead. There's a complete bald spot! It's slightly dis colored, burns, and itches a little. I've investigated it a little more, and it seems as though there's another patch right next to it. Is there anyway to post a picture here? I'm sort of worried that it can be Alopecia. The hair is completely gone, in about a quarter shape and size.

I had a baby 14 months ago, and someone mention post Partum hair loss, but this is a perfectly round patch of hair completely gone. It has me really worried and stressed out. This is my 1st time posting, so please bare with me! Thanks so much!!

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

How big is the patch?

I would go to Dr and ask for a dermatology referral . As far as I am aware alopecia areata doesn't hurt like that. (I have alopecia areata and it was completely painless)

Insist on a referral. my husband had similar symptoms to you but all over his head, the patches were very small may be 5mm round. He found out he had been misdiagnosed twice by two different GPs. The second told him he didn't need a dermatology referral (they will tell you they have dematology training as part of the GP training which is true but they are not experts) so we reluctantly paid for a private consultation. So glad we did as biopsy diagnosed something completely different but needed long term steroids and scalp lotion.

Hope you get relief or get your mind put at rest.

• Posted

It's about the size of a quarter maybe a bit bigger but also another bald patch quite close to it, but a bit smaller. Do you mind me asking what your husband was eventually diagnosed with?

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post!

• Posted

He was diagnosed with lichen planopilaris but this may not be what you have. I just advise insisting on a dematology referral as Gp misdiagnosed this twice and would never have got the right diagnosis from a Gp as it I rare. He lost hair but he managed to get it treated and prevented further loss. Hope you have a sympathetic gp. All the best and hopefully yours will be something treatable as well.

• Posted

oh gosh, I don't like the sound of it, however burns and itches I don't remember, but completely bare quarter size and round is alopecia.   Are the hairs bordering the circle laying down in a swirl pattern, looking like they are trying to run away?  That's alopecia.  I hope not.  Stress definately does not help.  It can stop all of a sudden and grow back, so try to be positive.

• Posted

Today it isn't painful. Just a bit sensitive. It is about quarter size and I noticed another today next to it, but a bit smaller! My husband has been telling me not to stress but it's depressing having your hair fall out sad I don't noticed any "hairs running away" smile I have an appt with my dr tomorrow!

• Posted

Hello Jeannie

Sounds like nothing to worry about. My sister had something similar and it grew back. That was 15 years ago and no recurrence

• Posted

Did you spots ever grow back? I was diagnosed with alopecia when I was 21. I'm 31 now and having really bad trigger spots again but this time they're not growing back. My second child is 18m old and I'm still breastfeeding. I think it might be something to do with that. I can't figure out what's going on and why I'm having zero growth.

My alopecia spots always burn/itch before the hair falls out. The scalp usually pink too

• Posted

Yes! They never went away and actually got bigger sad I also noticed a 3rd one starting. I'm 28 and my last baby is 16 months and I'm still breastfeeding also. I thought maybe that has caused it. I just started using MONAT hair products this week and hoping for some new hair growth, but I'm not getting my hopes up. My bald patches are very bad. I haven't been to a dermatologist yet. I've been to my doctor and did all kinds of bloodwork, everything came back normal except a vitamin D deficiency which can cause hair loss but I've been on a supplement since I made the initial post, and haven't seen any hair growth, just got worse. I'm almost positive it's Alopecia Areata. I have all the signs of it. I don't know what else to do sad

• Posted

My bald spots are pink also! And itch. I also get a tingly sensation on my scalp in those areas. It's so strange.

• Posted

Make a proper lifestyle regarding diet, sleep, and work. Early to bed and early to rise principle would be great. Do not apply any kind of chemicals on hairs. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.