Numb

Posted , 2 users are following.

Can a person having a panic attack only experience numbness in their tongue and roof of their mouth rather than their hands and feet? I didn't have any numbness or tingling in my hands or feet...Just my tongue and roof of my mouth.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi leahandrea,

With a panic attack anything is possible,it mimics or gives off the feeling something organic is wrong.  What you have described was that the only symptom ? Panic is usually accompanied with other symptoms...I say usually because everyone is different but  from past experience myself and from others there's a whole lot more that goes on ,more than numbness.

• Posted

Well I was freaking out completely...shaking, feeling faint, felt like I was dying, sweating, nausea, legs felt cold, etc. But as far as numbness or tingling, my tongue and roof of my mouth are the only areas that went numb.
    • Posted

Is this the first time you've experienced this or do you actually suffer a Panic / Anxiety dis - order ? If this is your first time I'd highly suggest you go see your GP for a  full check up, whilst it sounds like you experienced a panic attack because you don't have to feel numbness all over, but what you have described above can also be symptoms of other conditions.

• Posted

I have suffered from anxiety, ocd, panic disorder for a long time now, but I take Citalopram 20mg daily and I was doing great for a long time and this just came out of the blue.
    • Posted

I remember years ago I was put onto Citalopram, I had side effects similar to what you are describing but you have been on them for ages haven't you ? I can't tolerate any kind of anti depressant. If you find that anti depressants help maybe it's time to see your doctor and see about getting put onto something different, Citalopram is a real old medication for deperession.
    • Posted

Yeah, the first medication I was ever on was fluoxetine and I loved it. The side effects in the beginning were rough, but once I built up a blood level I loved it. I came off it because I was feeling great. Then about 2yrs ago I ended up in a downward spiral with my anxiety and they put me on citalopram. I don't feel like I did when I took fluoxetine. My anxiety is back with a vengeance. A friend at work told me about her nephew being found dead at 38 due to a heart attack and a few other people have died kind of close to home for me and I think that may have been bothering me subconsciously and that may of triggered something...idk. I'm trying to relax and not think the worst. I get so caught up in my thoughts and thinking I'm going to die and all that. It's scary.
    • Posted

fluoxetine is that Prozac ? that stuff nearly killed me, I had to come straight off that. One thing to remember to help stop you worrying, anybody can have a heart attack and at anytime, My nephews best friend is around 24 - 25 ish and he dropped dead of a heart attack at the gym, luckily this gym had a defibrilator and a person qualified to use it, the got to work on him straight away until paramedics arrived and took over, he now has a pacemaker, As I have said I suffered from panic attacks up until about 3 years ago for 20 + years and over that time at stages I thought I was having heart attacks, I suffered 2 mild heart attacks in the last 4 years and the feeling is completely different than a panic  attack and I don't know why doctors say " ohh no it's just a panic attack " just because it didn't show up on the ECG, it showed up in the troponin blood test to see if one has had a heart attack. Sure you get a bit anxious when you get that crushing / heavy feeling in your chest and pain going down into your left arm and up into your jaw, for women , they can have slightly different symptoms, You'll know if your having a heart attack more so if you was a male. I fully understand where you are coming from, I've been there as well but rest assured if you have been given the all clear for heart disease there is no need to dwell on it, it's hard to do but it can be done through any kind of relaxation techniques and breathing exercises. Doctors don't dare say it's a panic attack to me now as they have learnt from my first NSTEMI and did an angiogram to find I have mild to moderate (borderline) between the 2 if you know what I mean, heart disease.

When you feel like you are getting caught up with anxious thoughts see if you can divert your mind to something else around you, if you are near flowers, bend down and smell them  and say to yourself they are pretty smelling flowers, just the littlest of diversions help as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.