numb face??

Posted , 39 users are following.

Was just wondering if any1 else has experienced numbness with the anxiety? The left side of my cheek and mouth have just started going numb every so often, also I get a blotchy rash along my cheeks. The red blotches also are on my hands/wrists, chest and top of back when it comes on. Anyone else experienced this?

5 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I definately have. I've had numbness under 1 eye. Behind 1 ear. Always on the same side but difficult not to put all your attention in at it the time. I printed off all the symptoms if anxiety once and was so surprised how many there are and how many I could tick off and actually would never of thought it was anxiety related. I only joined this forum last week but already its helped me reAlise I'm not alone with these symptoms and feelings. I hope it helps you too
    • Posted

Good day Zena16479. I have been having such symptoms and came across your comment which helped me. How's your anxiety now?

• Posted

Hello,

Yes, this is very common with anxiety. My face/limbs often become numb because of excess carbon dioxide in the bloodstream- due to a high heart rate and hyperventilation during a panic attack. They feel numb and tingly, like pins and needles.

I also get a histamine response, like you, which causes the patchy skin/rash.

Amy

• Posted

I have anxiety attacks every so often but I have never had any numbness. What I have had though is numbness which I think is connected with an allergy to something I've eaten. It's only happened a couple of times when my lips have felt numb, just for a short time but I haven't had a rash. I can't remember what I was eating at the time because I didn't connect it with food at the time it happened. I wonder if it's to do with something you have eaten and the blotchy rash is an allergy rash because they are two signs of a food allergy. This can be dangerous for some people if they have a very severe reaction so I think you should not connect it to your anxiety but think more about a food allergy. Look up the symptoms and you'll see what I mean.
  • Posted

Thank u so much for letting me know its normal! Its just one side of my face that goes numb and the more I thought about it, the worse it made me. Bit of relief there. Ive never heard of a histimine response before, or had it with the anxiety but Im in the early stages of pregnancy. Could be the hormones making symptoms worse? Just sick fed up of the new things to worry about, feels good having reassurance.
  • Posted

Yes I have had face numbness too, its very disconcerting!
  • Posted

It is indeed! As im writing this I feel my lower face/mouth is somewhat numb/drooping and Im just sitting on tje sofa. My shoulders are very tight a lot of the time now with never feeling relaxed, don't know if this presses nerves
    • Posted

I feeel the same this only stared in march on tablets for panic attacks but am not panicing and now i get nunb and its takes days to go them comes back hope this is not forever 
    • Posted

I hope this is anxiety. My face and head are numb,  been like it for days now. I don't feel very stressed but am going through alot of hassle at the moment. I am also on medication for depression and take oxazepam. No one to talk to don't see the psyc.doc. for two weeks.
  • Posted

Hi, Jen

There are many symptoms of anxiety: I have experienced: Blotchy patches on chest, tingling and slight numbness in right cheek and around lips, cold, tingling sensation in the groin, pins and needles in legs and feet, itchiness on arms and legs, among other things...... horrible sensations which make for more anxiety. All of this, together with menopause symptoms make for a lot of misery.....but hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel! Good Luck!.

• Posted

Hi CruiseLady

Hows your anxiety now? Iv had it for 2months now. Does it get better

• Posted

Thank u CruiseLady, a lot of what u have described are the symptoms I get the most! Hormones add fuel to the fire most definitely, they play havoc sad I think the most important thing is to not "fear the worst" which is hard to do, once that feeling of dread comes over u theres no going back til its over. Vicious cycle. It is comforting we are all in the same boat, there definitely is light at the end of the tunnel. We just need to keep reminding each other, was feeling hopeless until I came on here and had the support of others going through the same or worse. Thank u again!
  • Posted

Yeah, the extra adrenaline hormone makes it worse! If you try and regulate your breathing and slow your heart rate (I know this is the most difficult bit caused by a panic attack/anxiety) then the tingling and numbness will soon go. It's just because of the extra carbon dioxide due to hyperventilation
  • Posted

Thank u amy u amy will try the breathing slowly, should I just sit down and do this or continue what Im doing? I try to distract myself but Im not sure if thats doing any good
  • Posted

Whichever you find works better for you. Sometimes I sit down, shut my eyes and breathe slowly, trying to relax. And sometimes I try and distract myself and I eventually forget all about it- maybe by listening to the radio or watching t.v..

I also find talking to someone helps to distract me best. My doctor says that this will make me more breathless (which I agree it does slightly at the start) but I find that talking to someone about anything distracts me the most, and therefore my breathing and heart rate slow down a lot quicker. I feel a lot safer and a lot less panicky then, knowing that I'm not on my own, even if it's only a telephone call!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.