Numbers

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok. I have the sort of mind that has an obsession with numbers. Rather than enjoying the life I have after my cancer scare, I just want to know about statistics. Silly, I know. Apparently my T3N0M0 bowel cancer has given me about an 85% 5 year survival chance. There was a blockage and some perforation well away from the tumour, which my consultant says is irrelevant now, it's more important at diagnosis. No adverse tests results of any sort since and it was 39 months ago. I have read that the first two years are more likely to show recurrence, but is there an improved %age from 85 now it is 3 1/4 years ago. 

I am in a better position than many others who are on this site, but statistics get in the way. Yes, I have seen a councellor this and will have a home visit tomorrow afternoon from the local Cancer Sociey person. Does anyone have recent research on these rates? I might have a look at the Coping With Anxiety site as well! 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Likewise John, I am constantly googling statistics even though my husband is happily getting on with his life.I really wish I could stop worrying as I know that the stress and anxiety is making me feel unwell.Maybe I will think about having some counselling.
  • Posted

Statistics are only relevant if you view them with all the information concerning their collection. You look at 5 year successs rates. Did you realise the '5 year survival' figure is representing the fact that follow up studies of patients is only done for 5 years after diagnosis? Not that this is your chance of achieving 5 years. It also does not reflect people that may not have lived for 5 years after diagnosis, but may have died from other causes entirely. So, remember that statistics can tell you anything, depending on how they are presented, and rarely give an accurate picture, no matter what people think.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.