Numbness after L4/L5 microdiscectomy- tell me it goes away??

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hello,

My name is Michelle. I am a RN and I have had years of low back pain with a history of herniated

discs from L3-S1. These symptoms would aggravate me from time to time but, being a nurse, with a

familial history of arthritis I thought it was just par for the course. Until three months ago when i

developed sciatica pain down my left leg and it was present every day, and it ruined my summer.

I couldn't walk without pain, bend without pain and basically was bed ridden and depressed all

summer. I am healthy, took NO meds up to this point and I was always a pretty active person. I finally

decided to have the surgery. On Monday 09/30/13 I had a microdiscectomy and was pleasantly

surprised with how easy it was to go home the next day. My pain was minimal, honestly, I do not

think I even needed the Oxycodone, it wasn't that bad. However, I did need the Valium, I noticed

the incision was sore in the am and was happy to have the Valium. By day 3 post op, I was off all

of the narcotic meds and only taking ibuprofen and tylenol (valium at night). Day 5, I was walking, no numbness, no tingling, doing fine... Until I coughed. I literally re herniated from a cough and ended

up back in the hospital undergoing a second round of emergency surgery to remove the extruded

disc. I now have numbness in my left foot and toes that I am so sad about. I have read and read on

line and all that I have heard is that it very rarely goes away, yet the surgeon says it will? Who do I

believe? And how long does it take? I just want my life back (much like everyone here) so, any

information you can provide me with would be very much appreciated. I'm still not having any pain to speak of so, for those of you worried about post op pain, it's really really not bad at all!

(In my opinion of course). Thank you all for any responses.

Michelle

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Michelle,

I can't help you with post-operative numbness, however it was interesting to read about your condition and immediate post-operative recovery; I am presently awaiting a "surgical decision" having had my summer completely ruined by a similar numbness, (brought on by sciatica following problems with my lower back), and constant/permanent pins and needles in my right foot - people just don't 'get' not only how excrutiatingly difficult this condition is to live with, but how it effects our day to day lives - for instance I need help in washing my feet, cutting toenails, putting on socks, and even stepping into pants/trousers

I wish you well in your recovery; I hope to have my surgical decision soon

• Posted

Hi Michelle 

I had a discectomy on 9/2, on L4 L5. Two days after surgery I was in worse pain than before . At some point I had reherniated that same disc and a large chunk became lodged between the bone and spinal cord . I had a 2nd surgery on 9/23.

It is now 9/28 and I have pain in my left ankle and the top of my left foot . Oddly enough , the outside of my foot and ankle are very numb but the pain (along with pins and needle feeling ) is coming from the inside out.

I see that your post is from 12 months ago...but I was wondering how things turned out for you. Are you still in pain? And what about the numbness ?

Pam

• Posted

hi there

I had a discetomy April 13 L5/S1, unfortunately i had some improvment but did have that problem with my left leg after surgery.

unfortunately after much asking I was referred back to Consultant and they found I had a cyst and inflammation bth sides of spine.

i then had revision decommpression & posterior L5/S1 instrumental stabilisation in July this year and I now have pain in right leg and burning sensation in big toe. It was a 5hr op and I have got rods and screws in my back now but still in lot of pain epecially in mornings.

still on Tramadol which is now 20 mths

• Posted

Hi.

I'm day 6 into this in recovery from a microdiscectomy!

I'm up and down with pain.

One day not to bad only to wake up with terrible hip and back pain.

Did I blow the disc already?

• Posted

Michelle-

had an L5/S1 Discectomy in October 2012 - and still have numbness in my left foot ( pinkie toe and 2 next to it ) as well as left calf "odd feeling".  Very frustrating.  Had to EMG's and was told nerve was still active but regenerates slowly.  I'm beginning to doubt ever having more improvement.  Trying to treat it as the new normal.  I do run but it is "normal / numb / normal / numb.  as I said - really frustrating.  Hope gong better for you.

• Posted

i have the same problem 2 1/2 yrs later.left 2 toes numb on left foot ,twitching in my calf and muscle spasm in my thigh,I hope and pray that eventually it goes away.DJ
    • Posted

I'm in the same boat as you kinda I had discectomy of my L5/S1 and right after the surgery my out side of my left foot small toe and next toe numbness along with my calf everywhere I look seems to be a normal outcome temporarily. How did your outcome to now turn out?
    • Posted

Hello I'm in the same boat was given gabapentin and naproxen for the calf and outside toe. How r u coming along what does the doctor tell you?
    • Posted

Hello did you have surgery prior? I just had a discectomy l5s1 and those are the symptoms post surgery for me ? What does your doctor say?
    • Posted

Hello, I wouldn't bother with the gabapentin unless you're in pain (nerve pain)... I don't really have nerve pain. I have nerve damage, I can't feel the bottom of parts of my left foot. And my back is still painful but it's not nerve pain, it's musculosketal (muscle pain). Gabapentin doesn't do much for that. You'd be better off with muscle relaxers (like flexeril and ibuprofen and the application of heat). You should do exercises that gently build your core strength and stretching like yoga. Other than that there aren't many options.

I do hope you find what works for you!

Good luck!

• Posted

I to have similar no feeling bottom of left foot the pain I have is in my calf as I walk because of the loss of feeling in the bottom of my foot I cant push off using the front of my foot therefore it puts a strain on my calf which has loss almost complete muscle. Has your calf been affect in anyway?
    • Posted

I had my 1st surgery in 2013 and had excellent results. out of pain instantly and back to work in 10 days. in 2015 i bent down to pull up my trousers and a strange feeling in my back. next morning my left foot was numb. calf very week went back to the surgeon and they said a huge herniated disc. did a 2nd surgery and no change has occurred in the numbness. He wants to do a spinal fusion. if no change occurred after the 2nd surgery what will make it help this issue. every step I take is so strange. I have worked with a very good therapist and he has helped me get my glute back calf back. 75%. walking is rather strange as the foot feels like it is asleep. should never have had the 2nd surgery. anyone ever recover from this foot issue or are we stuck like this for life????

• Posted

Hello All,

I just wanted to give you an update. The numbness on the bottom of my foot has NOT resolved. I still have spasmodic pain around d the incision site. Standing for long periods of time is painful, like muscle pain. However, the sciatica pain is gone and that is what was debilitating for me. I agree that this numbness is the new normal for me. And I just live life happy to have no sciatica pain. I take zero mediation except occasionally I'll take an Advil or a muscle relaxer. I wish you all the best of luck in your recovery.

• Posted

Thank you, for the quick response I guess I know what to look forward to. Are you able to run and walk fine with the numbness
    • Posted

Hi there... Yes, I can run. I do feel the numbness but it's more annoying than anything. I can feel it the most in the water. It feels like I'm stepping on something. But, it's not painful, just annoying. It becomes a mind over matter thing. You'll be fine, I'm certain of it. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Michelle I also have had a numb foot for about 2 1/2 years. Has yours resolved or gotten any better???
    • Posted

I had a laminectomy with fusion two months ago... I've had numbness in two toes on each foot ever since my surgery.. It's not gotten any better. My surgeon does not act concerned, but I am.

• Posted

Left foot is still numb. Have gotten about 50% of my strength back in the leg. With 1 year of PT. The perepherial nerve is damaged and the touch on the top of the foot has a little improvement but far from great. They wanted to do a lumbar fusion and I decided to not go through with it. Frankly I am a little tired of Surgeons telling me it will be fine when it's not at all. I do hope you keep me posted as I am happy to answer any questions to any of you.

• Posted

Hi Carol. I did not go through with the Fusion. I had to micro discectomies and the 2nd one was to get rid of my numb foot. The surgery did not resolve the issue with the numb foot and now I regret the 2nd surgery as it made no difference.
    • Posted

My fusion was Sep. 22, 2011, my left foot is still numb and I have a limp, due to motor nerve damage during surgery. I have to use a cane when I walk outside of the house. I have constant back pain, which started about 6 months after surgery. I am fused L3, L4 & S1.  Due to lower back surgery, I found out from a pain management doctor that lower back surgery weakens the upper back. My pain now is because T12 dropped down onto L1. I have suffered so much pain even with taking Opioids. I am going to have a procedure which is called the cement procedure. A large needle is injected between the vetebra that are sitting on each other and a cement type substance is inserted to form an artificial disc. I will not be going back to the "surgeon" that messed up my life and crippled me.  I know this will not take away the numbness in my left foot, nor take away the limp, my left leg is weakened from the motor nerve damage during the surgery. You just have to accept the fact that the numbness is there to stay. 

• Posted

The numbness is there. I have been wiggling my toes for 2 1/2 years hoping to get this strange feeling back but no luck. I have no pain and am very thankful to God for that. I do have leg weakness but dont need a canine. Hope you feel better?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.