Numbness after spinal fusion

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello again!

I have a quick question today about numbness following spinal fusion surgery.

On July 15th (this year) I had thoracic spinal fusion and it all went ok, quite brutal due to some other spinal disorders but I got through it and am doing better every day, however whilst I was in hospital I noticed that I couldn't actually feel my back (entire back & shoulder blades) - at the time, I chalked this down to meds so ignored it.

Nearly 10weeks post op now and the numbness is still there - I also get tingling in my right hand occasionally - so I was wondering if this was something that I should be worrying about? Also, if it helps I have some slight dilation of the central canal (of the spinal chord) so I don't know whether that is important?

I am going back to my surgeon for another check up on the 23rd so an answer before that would be amazing, just so that I know what I'm talking about?

Thanks!

Izzie xx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI,  I had spinal fusion Feb 25th 2015 T2 to L2. I am still numbeon the shoulder blades and parts of the back. I have constant stinging on the left shoulder and at its worse it send pain down the underside of my arm to my elbow. Have mentioned all this to my consultat who did not really respond. He sent a letter to my GP asking him to help with my aches and pains. So I guess from that it is saying it is normal. I am due to see consultant or one of his team 9th November so will mention again just to see if I get a better response.

I have just started physio and menitoned it to her but she did not commit to saying anything except you have had major surgery and have 17 screws in your back. I already knew this, so not sure what the relevance was.

It will be interesting to see what your consultant has to say to you. Please let me know of your outcome. 

Regards

J

• Posted

I'll let you know if they can give me any more help!

Thanks for reply,

Izzie x

• Posted

Hi Izzie, I'm new to this but I had kyphosis spinal fusion in 2010 on my whole spine and was numb fully until this week (October 2015) when I felt a sharp pain in my back, neck and shoulder..turned out I had a herniated spinal disk and my spinal chord and nerves were being damaged and I lost control of my left arm for a few days..scary stuff! Anyway, I think it's normal to be numb after the surgery..I have 30 screws and only 4 vertebrae left so I definitely was numb!
    • Posted

Oh my! I really hope that you're ok now?

As far as numbness goes, I'm still numb and I don't think it'll go away for quite a while, but I am in increasing amounts of pain so I may call up my surgeon and ask him because the scar is getting a bit redder - just to be on the safe side I think!

Thank you for your reply, and I hope you recover soon xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.