Numbness and at times pain in foot after Hip Replacement

Posted , 31 users are following.

If anyone can help me It would be much appreciated my father had a total hip replacement in August 2014 and after day 2 post op has experienced numbness in foot and toes and at times severe pain in that area and lower part of his leg, this keeps him awake at night. His actual hip is repairing well but has now been left with this awful discomfort.....if anyone has gone through the same or knows of anyone please advise of treatment or next steps....it's obvious nerve damage has occured. Thanks in advance.

3 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds like foot drop. Can he lift his foot up? Surgeon probably cut a nerve. Southern Indiana Orthopedics messed me up for life.
    • Posted

Hi Don, yes he can lift his foot up...yes I think the surgeon has done some nerve damage...wishing you al the best.
    • Posted

Yeah sounds like it. There's nothing worse than tingling numbing sensation with electrical jolts that shoot down the leg
  • Posted

Hello Elizabeth,

What did your dad's doctor say when you reported this?  If you are not happy you should get another opinion as you dad does not need to be in pain.

You should get some good advice from this forum, but since we dont know your dad's health history we can only offer what our expereinces have been like.

Wishing you all the best for your dad, Patricia from Toronto

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

The surgeon said the damage may repair itself but everything we have read doesn't sound good, my dad is in good health and has always been very active throughout his life, it just upsets me to see my dad like this...again any advice from anyone would be much appreciated.

• Posted

This was exactly my experience in 2007. Despite dozens of tests, procedures and interventions over the intervening years, no medical professional would concede that it was nerve damage as a result of the surgery. 

My heart goes out to your father; it's a dreadful condition. 

No matter how assertive I was, it got me nowhere. However, I would still advise you to push this as far as you can. You may be luckier than I've been. 

My symptoms have, very, very slowly, improved just a little. For the most part, I've just had to learn to live with them. 

I do hope your father gets some sort of respite and recognition of the problem. I wish you well 

Elaine

NE England

• Posted

Elaine, many thanks for your response and I feel your pain too, we as a family are going to push for everything we can I am looking at alternative therapies did you try any?
    • Posted

I stayed within the bounds of 'conservative' procedures. Had great hopes of physiotherapy but to no avail whatsoever. 

I should add that I had so many problems that they did a revision op 2 years later, but that did not help at all; in fact it probably worsened things. 

However, 3 weeks ago I had my other hip replaced and despite massive misgivings, it's gone perfectly. Different surgeon, who said he'd looked at X-rays of my other, first, hip and thinks he can help me with the pain, involving a 3rd op on it. Will be great if it works. 

I'm more hopeful at the moment than I've been for 7 years. 

So, I'd say confidence in your surgeon is paramount and then, if necessary, cause mayhem in order to be heard and have your issues addressed. Don't know where you're from, but here in UK, we PAY for this service and deserve the best possible care!

• Posted

Hey, Its been 6 years of this Post. My father is facing the same issue after Total hip replacement of numbness, electric shock like feeling, needle like feelings and burning sensations and due to this he can't sleep. I want to know did you recover from that situation ?

• Posted

So sorry to hear that your father seems to have sciatic nerve damage. Some surgeons don't seem to admit the damage and fob you off. It is disgraceful that we have to suffer and struggle to get answers. I found out from the internet that my femoral nerve was damaged. Fortunately  for me I have had a surgeon admitting my was damaged in surgery. Though he wasn't  aware of it during the surgery. You should take a look  on the Internet for sciatic nerve damage after THR That way you can be more informed about it. Please ask your father  to speak to his surgeon or Dr about his symptoms. Sadly some of us don't  end up pain free after THR. All the best Debbie UK Milton Keynes. 
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth, it may be something that a doctor has done during the surgery.

My experience: I had my total hip replacement on July 17, 2014, After i woke up, i had therapy but my legs hurted and under pain meds. My upper leg near my knee felt numb but it went away. I would be concerned for blood clots and limited movement of his leg. He should be able to raise his at a minimum remember two days post op wont be able to move like a person with 4 weeks post op.

May also be the anesthesia still working that cause numbness.

Does he still have pain groin/hip area?

It may be something else he is experiencing.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply, no he has tested been blood clots, he can walk but gets such bad pain in the evening and during the night, hence finds sleeping difficult, his actual hip is great its what my dad been left with after the op that that is so awful....any more suggestions?

• Posted

I think it's hard to say EXACTLY what is going on, only about 2 months post op.  I am dealing with femoral nerve damage from the Anterior replacement here in the U.S.  but it didn't really rear it's ugly head until 5 months post op.  

For me I believe it's all from the short leg issue as I have worse arthritic knee and foot/ankle...but the nerve damage is very much with me 4 yrs post op.

So many of us have been left with messes is all I can say, wish it were not so.   J

• Posted

Hi thanks for message, my dad does not the short leg issue, why can't something be done for nerve damage, have you tried anything in the last few years?

• Posted

I had anterior implant 3 yrs ago and like you was fine for 5 months then I have been in pains since. Checked for loosening twice that came back negative even though all symptoms and pain point to that, checked for infection- negative. Surgeon basically threw his hands up. Frustrating. Had other hip done with anther mfg and no real issue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.