Numbness and pins and needles in feet and legs

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a mini flare 10 days ago and went up from 8 to 9 and half.  The last two days I have had extremely uncomfortable numbness and pins and needles in my feet and lower legs.  The numbness is so bad that I scratched my leg on my zip and drew blood, but hardly felt a thing.  I have a bright red weal there now.  Has anyone else experienced this ? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello jan, I can't say that I have experienced this. However, if your numbness and pins and needles is not caused because say for example you have sat on it and "dead legged" it I would definitely be popping along to tell my GP.

i hope your flare is now under control. I would stay on 9.5 for a couple more weeks, then taper back down to the dose above the flare and stay there for 4 weeks minimum. Regards, tina

• Posted

Thanks Tina.    I think I Felt a bit like this The last time I had to increase my dose.  Thepain Is minimal now, but the fatigue is pretty bad.  My legs feel really strange.  I think you are right, I need to go to the doc.
  • Posted

Jan

PMR or GCA or both?

• Posted

I should have said 'and for how long'.

I still think you should take a 'hike' to your GP.

PMR is part of the vasculitis family, although amongst the 'experts'  the jury is still out.     Are your feet and especially your toes cold and numb or or normal?

• Posted

I have had PMR exactly a year.  My toes are cold at the moment and my whole foot feels slightly numb while having pins and needles at the same time.  It has started since I increased my dose from 71/2/8 to 91/2.   
    • Posted

Forgot to say I have short nerve neuropathy, so I wonder if it is related to that
    • Posted

There can be a reason for cold feet.  Pred thins the blood and therefore the extremties can be cold.

However, if the numbness and they change colour, off to the GP.

Can't help with short nerve neuropathy question.

• Posted

I didnt know that pred thins the blood.  They do go red, so will try and see the doc tomorrow.   
  • Posted

Hi Jan, have you had your blood glucose tested?
    • Posted

Yes.    The 3 month test has been 43 and 37, the last two times.   So I am watching what I eat.   I am going to see a nutritionist to make sure I am having the right diet.   I have just read that lemons can help to keep the blood sugar down.    Also celery.
  • Posted

I get numbness and pins and needles in my hands and feet occassionally - I believe it's from the pred rather than the PMR itself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.