Numbness and swelling any advice?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with this condition recently. I have chronic arthritis as well. I have only had 1 episode but this has left me

numb by my chin and my bottom lip is tingling. Is this normal as

it has been 4 weeks now. I also have swelling in my gum. All

these symptoms where much worse at the time but now have

stopped improving.

I am due to fly this week and I'm really concerned. I have to wait

to see a neurologist until I get back and my gp has no experience with this.

I would really appreciate any advice

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Can you see your dentist? They could advise on your swollen gum before you fly.
  • Posted

I have had X-Ray's in hospital and an ultra sound and I have nothing wrong to do with my teeth. The swelling has been caused by this condition according to the consultant that conducted the scan. Apparently the fat has swollen up.!

I'm really concerned as nobody else seems to have had these other symptoms and can't seem to find any info about it.

• Posted

Hi Mandy

Do you take medications for your TN & Arthritis? The numbness,tingling and pain in the face is the norm for TN but pain & how long it lasts is different for everyone. As for your swollen gums, I would definately speak to your dentist for advice. Good luck 

• Posted

Yes I do take 2 different anti inflammatory drugs for the arthritis and was already on gabapenten 1500mg daily.

I am not so bothered about the pain as unfortunately I am so used to dealing with that and I am on high doses of pain relief.

Can anyone advise on how long the numbness is likely to last?

I really appreciate your replies and help as this is a scary little known condition.

• Posted

Hi

As far as I have been told by doctors... these sensations can last from days to months but again... this is different for everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.