Numbness in Legs What to do ? Due to anxiety

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello I am feeling Numbness in my legs few times a day.

Is this due to anxiety ?

I think alot and i have tinnitus problem. My all tests blood,ECG,MRI comes normal. 

Anyone faced same ?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes David, those are very common symptoms associated with anxiety. Anxiety can literally have hundreds of symptoms. When I was in my 20s I had the same numbness in tingling in my arms and legs. I also have tinnitus  which is permanent.  I was worried I had something serious but all my tests were normal .

Just to make you feel better, I am now in my 50s and nothing bad has happened as a result  when I feel anxiety coming on I will often get the tingling in my legs. The thing to do is work on your anxiety and overthinking. Your brain will believe  whatever you're worried about so you need to turn that around and learn how to think more positive. I am a huge over thinker.! I have to  Force myself to eliminate  any negative thoughts immediately.

i found  what really helps is to stay active! The worst thing we can do is sit around and think too much. Our brain tends to go to the negative if we let it.

try to do some things you enjoy, socialize is better than being alone, do things for other people that helps take your mind off of your own worries.  Stay active! 

anxiety is hard to overcome on  our own and I found speaking with a counselor very helpful. They see this every day and know how to help us manage it. I keep going even when I feel better. It's like a lifeline for me. 

you can also find great audios for free online that deal with negative thinking and anxiety. You can Google it or find it on YouTube. 

as long as your test all came out normal, it's time to MoveOn and fight for yourself and your peace of mind and happiness. I wasted 20 years of my life with worry that I cannot get back. I hope this helps and I wish you the best!

• Posted

OMG my life is same like you. I am just 27 year old single and living alone from past 3 years. "I am a huge over thinker.! I have to  Force myself to eliminate  any negative thoughts immediately." I AM 100% same 

can you please tell me what things you do for this ? and i have sleep problems as well do you have any or you tried anything for sleep.

• Posted

Well when I exercise daily even with my symptoms, it helps me to sleep later on as it calms me down. I don't like taking medication because I don't want to feel that I depend on it. 

The other thing for sleep are the online audios that deal with negative thinking and anxiety. It's a guy with a really calm voice and he walks you through total relaxation !   It's so relaxing that sometimes I fall asleep during it. Also you can do deep breathing but it has to be done a certain way. When you're lying down, take a slow deep breath through your nose  and make sure your stomach roses, then slowly blowout through pursed lips which means they are like you're blowing  A candle.  Do this several times or as many as you need. This technique is the best way to get oxygen to your brain  and lungs. 

One thing I had to learn, being an over thinker and a "what if "thinker , is that all those negative thoughts going through my mind are based on non reality.

they are thoughts made up in my mind about what negative things could happen to me. Remember this…  FEAR Stands for false evidence appearing real. Our negative and false thoughts appear real to us. But they are not real yet they are stressing us out!   This is just wasting our days here on earth when we could be enjoying our life and have peace of mind! I wasted over 20 years doing this! Please don't do this to yourself as you will definitely regret it when you're older. 

as I said in my last message, the best thing to do is stay active! Don't give those negative thoughts a chance to enter your mind. 

and counseling has been wonderful for me.

so, exercise, stay active, stay social, listen to the audio's, eat healthy, do deep breathing and  if you can speak with a counselor. Just remember anxiety symptoms cannot hurt or kill you....they are annoying but that's it.

You will be OK 

• Posted

David

I suffer numbness and pins and needles caused by my Chronic Disability. If all the tests you have had have proven negative, and you have no circulation problems it would seem your sensations are Anxiety based

• Posted

Have you been checked for vitamin B12 deficiency and vit D def or anaemia?
    • Posted

Yes, I am a muscular guy and doing gym regularly. I take multivitamins as well. These days i have sleep problem and numbness in legs only.
    • Posted

Are you absorbing the vitamins? If you join PAS you will gain a lot of valuable and accurate information on these issues.

You may have restless legs syndrome. There are leaflets on this on this website. Magnesium relacxes muscle and can help as can B12 but you need to ensure that these nutrients are actually being absorbed.

• Posted

I am sure its due to anxiety. Because i think too much and only sometimes i feel headache as well. This Numbness in Legs started from last 2 months only
    • Posted

David

Try using your shower head set at a heavy, direct setting, I use water theraphy with my legs and the warm water seems to relax muscle and the tendons. For my PsA i also use B12 and Vitimin D

Sometimes posture can cause these sensations if you have not been sitting well. Sometimes people restrict the nerves and tendons if they sit crunched up,

BOB 

• Posted

Hi David

Anxiety throws weird and not wonderful things at you .. The physical symptoms are pretty rubbish.

To help with your legs do 10  mins every morning of progressive muscle training.. easier than it sounds.. You can do it in bed in a morning before you even get up and it works wonders.

I had numn and tingly legs that felt weak too. 

I found the remedy on you tube .

Just type in progreesive muscle training for anxiety.

Cured mine with  thress days.. and i still do it now.

Tinnitus cam later for me , in fact Almost all the other physical symptoms had gone and then out of the blue it started just one ear. went to docs had tests and it was the after effects of the  anxiety.

No tips for the tinnitus just try and distract yourself and try and ignore it so it doesnt drive you mad... It's not good is it..

But hopefully it will calm as your anxiety lesons.. Have you ever tried mindful meditation.. I fond this good for mind and body xx

Hope your feeling it soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.