Numbness with Meniere's Disease

Posted , 8 users are following.

I just found this forum while searching for answers for MD. Does anyone else have symptoms of numbness, mostly facial? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I did go through a phase where my affected side would go a bit tingly and numb and mouth used to droop to one side. I'm not sure how normal that is though. I also get numb legs and my hands go a bit sometimes too and I'm dropping things everywhere. That's all I can, I'm not sure why this happens, so probably can't help you in any other way than dating don't worry these things happen in other sufferers too. That helped me when I was first diagnosed and was comforted in the knowledge i wasn't the only one suffering and this was a relatively common symptom.

• Posted

Facial numbness is not typical of Meniere's Disease.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

I would get facial numbness on occasion, usually before a headche but sometimes not. My mother had trigeminal neuralgia( bells palsy) and this seems to be pretty much he same. Whatever is going on is having an effect on the trigeminal nerve. Something not usual with Menieres Disease. Mine, I think, has an association with my sinuses as it happens more frequently when they are giving me problems. If yours happens frequently and/or you are concerned about it, I would ask for an eval to rule out anything like a low grade sinusitis or anything. There are a lot of things that can cause this, most are easily treated. Take care.
  • Posted

Good morning Patrick! I don't have numbness but I do get sharp niddle like pains in my head on the side of my Meniere's and I have also noticed that at night that my eye on that side gets blurry and feels funny.

• Posted

patrick71793- I also get numbness on the Meniere's side. directly in front of my ear to the top of the cheek bone. My left eye will sometimes be a little "droopy" and it feels like I'm not using it to sight, but it works just fine. The numbness comes and goes with the rest of my symptoms, especially the aural fullness. With everyone answering in the affirmitive, they may want to rethink if this is a sign/symptom of Meniere's. I have had more than my fair share of CT scans and MRIs (with and without contrast dye). I've been to several Nuerologists and ENTs. They can't seem to explain the "numbness" and what I like to call "wonky" eye. I believe it's because the excess fluid is putting pressure on the facial nerve but I've been told "That can't be." Even though on all of the charts I look at, they run very close together and it's not really a closed system. Instead of saying "NO" maybe they need to start saying "Maybe." How long have you been dealing with MD? What treatments have you done? I did (in order) steroid shots, endolymhatic shunt (worked for a year or so), steroid shots again, low dose Gent (worked for about 6 months), then steroid shots again and now I'm in the middle of another low dose Gent treatment. Hopefully they'll get it this time. Good luck to you. 

• Posted

If I poke the inside of my effected ear with my finger nail, it's numb, as is my face around the ear opening.  This seems to be associated with the aural fullness I experience.  It may not be "numbness", but feel like that if you know what I mean.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.