Nurofen - can it escalate CKD? Or is it just all hype?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Due to severe vitamin D deficiency, which causes bone and joint pain, I have been taking quite high does of Nurofen for the last few weeks and can't believe how much better it makes me feel.  I also have ckd stage 3, which my doc isn't too worried about, so I was wondering if taking the nurofen would make my kidneys worse.  I have heard that taking nurofen over 20 20 years or something can cause damage to your kidneys but I have only just started taking them a few weeks ago.  

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, Nurofen is a NSAID (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drug and can damage kidneys long term if taken for just a few months.  I know from experience as I took Ibuprofen in small doses for several months to cope with an at-the-time undiagnosed painful auto-immune illness, and was diagnosed with CKD as a result.  I may have been more vulnerable owing to the fact that I had just a sole kidney, having had one removed in childhood.  However, the remaining kidney was perfectly normal in every way for 50 years.......until I took Ibuprofen. I am also Vit D deficient, and taking a 3-month course of Vit D3 supplement (Cholecalciferol) at this moment in time. 
    • Posted

Thank you for the info.  I think I will cut down on the Nurofen.  I too am on a 12 week course of vit d to try and get my levels back up as the were showing as <8 last month.  

• Posted

TCake, that's a very severe Vit D deficiency.  No doubt it is a very high, short-term supplement you are on?  If so, a little tip here:  make sure they keep a check on your calcium levels as taking Vit D allows more calcium to be absorbed into your body from your diet.  That is fine as long as your calcium levels don't get too high in which case the body can't get rid of it and you are then at risk of too much calcium (hypercalcaemia) which can lead to calcium grit/crystals forming.  It isn't common but it is possible and I know someone who was so affected.

I was found to be deficient in Vit D with a reading of 39 some 4 years ago (normal is between 75 and 150 in my local Trust) and, due to my CKD my GP approached a renal consultant for advice as to Vit D dosage.  He recommended just 3 months on 1000 units Cholcalciferol daily, with my calcium levels being checked at the outset and half way through the course.  I was fine, but then 1000 units isn't excessive but considered a safe dose for someone with CKD3B.  I have repeated the 3 months course each winter but a few weeks ago decided to ask for a Vit D blood test as it hasn't been repeated in the last four years.  The result was "48 deficient" - however, that was half way through my 3-month course of Vit D so the figure would probably have been somewhere in the 30's before embarking on the present course.  I intend to ask for another Vit D blood test at the end of the course.  I'm not someone who can take safely too much advantage of the sun in the summer (hopefully we will get some!) as I'm very fair skinned, freckled and blue-eyed).

So don't forget to get those calcium levels checked, and it would be interesting to know your daily prescribed dose of Vit D.  Good luck with that.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice and yes,  I'm very fair skinned, freckled and blue-eyed too and I hate the heat so when the Summer arrives I hide indoors!  I am one of those who burns so easily and I get prickly heat so when I do go out in the sun, I slap on total sun blocks and keep covered up!  I am taking Colecalciferol 20,000unit capsules 3 times a week for twelve weeks,  I expect from the name of the meds that it also contains calcium???  I do drink alot of milk though smile

• Posted

Oh, Snap! with being fair-skinned.  Hubby gets prickly heat so I know how awful that can be and he, too, covers up in the sun.  His was caused many years ago by the sun reacting on the sun tan lotion in vogue at the time - Ambre Solaire!

That's a high Vit D dose but obviously needed with your low reading.  It isn't that the meds contain calcium, it's just the reaction of Vitamin D in the body that allows more calcium from diet to be absorbed than it would otherwise.  So, do ensure that you get your calcium levels checked, preferably now to ensure that your calcium levels are not raised, and again at the end of the course.  Calcium isn't like Vitamin C which gets secreted from our bodies rather than building up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.