Nutrition and Cushions Disease

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I am currently diagnosed w Cushions, and following a no gluten, no sugar, no dairy diet and feel so much better with the aweful symptoms associated with Cushions. Has anyone had any success in the holistic natural approach?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shianne.. Sorry to hear about this.  I don't have s solution for you unfortunately as I'm still in the diagnostics stage.  I'm very interested in understanding what symptoms you have as I think I could have the same. 

As far as a wholistic natural approach to cushings would go I'm sure it will make a difference if you are not increasing stress on your body.  I have the symptoms of cushings but am not sure If I have it or not.  Either way I do a few things which keeps my cortisol levels down. 

- If you are excercising, only excercise 2 or 3 times a week.  Any more than that I seem to gain weight.  Despite years of fitness and excercise (always struggling with energy) I have found that more excercise does not mean better. 

-For meals, make sure you have some carbohydrate with every meal.  Do not do any intermittent fasting or low carb dieting.  Even the very strict sugar free diets will put your body under stress.  I found out after many years of struggling that cutting carbs from my diet makes me gain weight.  Yes you heard right.  By keeping my meals small and adding a little bit of carb (a medium potato for example) I sleep better, my stress levels drop and my exercise actually does something.  If you just eat greens and high fibre foods your body will never get enought energy and more cortisol is released.  I've tried and tested this and you would be amazed with the results.

-If you can give up coffee, do so. If you can't waite until after 10 a.m or at least 3 hours after you get up in the morning. Your cortisol levels are at their highest when you wake up in the morning and take a few hours to go down.  

-I have noticed wheat and oats give me terrible brain fog. This is no doubt connected to my digestion given that a high cortisol state causes problems in this area.  If you do eat wheat, eat it in small amounts.  Like a couple of slices of bread per day.  That seems to work for me. 

--eat every two hours.  The meals only have to be small but eating small meals definitely keeps your cortisol levels down.  If you exercise as I have specified, eat small regular meals, and eat a small amount of carbs with every meal you will notice a difference in many areas.  It's faster than you think.  

- Don't be fooled into eating large amounts of protein.  I dont' know why, but given all the media out there on eating loads of protein to keep weight down, that seems to only work for the normal people.  If your cortisol levels are high then this wont' work for you.  I think it slows your digestion too much and maybe causes your body to release more cortisol.  The better option is to eat more fats instead.  Believe me, this works very well for me and I have tested this over a couple of years.  Butter and Virgin Coconut oil are excellent sources of energy and in modration wont' make you gain weight.   I have also taken the measure of not eating any other types of oil (yes, even Olive oil) for some obvious health reasons.  I'm afraid I just don't believe tha the Olive oil you buy in the supermarkets or health shops is fresh enough.  It's too cheap and probably rancid. The European Olive oil standard (I forget what it's called) prices genuine olive oil at around $40-50 / litre. How on earth can some of the better known brands sell a 3 litre tin for $25. 

I'm probably going off track now but some of these steps will really help you if you stick to them. Changing your eating habits is a little hard at first.  You will have this feeling of what I refer to as 'emty handedness', like you feels there is something you really have to do but don't know why.  After 4 days the cravings drop off.  

- Last point.  Chaning your diet can be a little difficult and is made harder if you have suffered from digestive issues all our life. If you buy one of those smoothie makers (powerful blenders), grind up some Kale and a little bit of banana into a shake and drink that every morning when you get up.  It provides you with allot of vital nutrients and curbs the craving for food enough to enabel you to stick to your eating plan.  

I hope some of these tips will help you has they have for me.  Without definitive tests telling me I have cushings I definetly have high cortisol levels and have had so since very young.   I was probably born with it. 

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you so much for all your info. I have scheduled surgery for Feb. 1, any suggestions for before surgery to get as healthy as I can. And also after surgery to recover ASAP. I am a personal trainer and very healthy now so they said that will of course help speed my recovery but I'm not sure how long I should plan to be off work. I don't need to workout with my clients each session but I definitely need to be upbeat and motivating. Nausea and headaches I see most see people suffer from so I'm not sure. Any thoughts?
    • Posted

Hi Dominic,

I know this is a very old post so you may not get this, but I just wanted to say that everything you said resonates with me completely. I have been told I most probably have Cushing's (tumour in pituitary and raised cortisol from bloods) however they cannot do the salivary test to confirm because of the Coronavirus.

Either way, like you said, I find that when I get into a good exercise plan (weights 4 times a week) I find I put weight on. I know that endurance exercise is bad for cortisol, but from researching online they say weight lifting should be ok. But perhaps it stresses the system too much. Because I'm trying to build muscle, I eat around 110g protein a day which is double from the recommended.

I was wondering what sort of workouts you do? How much protein you eat and rough calories a day?

I had just started doing intermittent fasting - eating my first meal around 12pm, as I had read that cortisol is high in the morning so eating carbs then will be stored as fat, haven't seen any results as of yet, but just reading what you said maybe that is why!

Do you usually eat first thing?

Hope you're doing well, did you end up getting tested in the end?

Sorry for all the questions

All the best

Tessa

• Posted

Hey there! I havent been diagnosed but i realized the other day i have it from20 years of using corticosteroid asthma inhaler. I have all the symptoms including the round face n humpy back neck. I am actually on my 6th week of following an adrenal diet. I feel more balanced for sure. Im also on herbal supplements for weak adrenal glands. Im also on multivitamins. I feel less tired..more focused. Im seeing my doc tomorrow to ask him to change my inhaler if possible. Btw i did a 24hr urine test 5 months ago through a womens private clinic which showed my adrenal glands to be in fatugue stage. I went to her because the family doc didnt have much answers. This is why im on adrenal supplements. I also plan on seeing a naturopath soon.
    • Posted

Hello,

just checking back in on your supplements. I have tried so many things along the way which help with the weight gain and fatigue symptoms but they have told me the surgery to have the gland removed in inevitable so I planned the surgery Feb 1. How are you feeling and what have you tried?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.