NWB after Achilies rupture tendon surgey. I'm FRETTING

Posted , 4 users are following.

I still haven't seen the surgeon (hoping for next week) so I know he'll answer my worries BUT if anyone can try and calm me down a bit I'd be SO pleased. I'm worrying about NWB after surgery due to the fact my left achilies is bad but not as bad as the right 1 that's being operated on. How am I going to cope WB on my left leg. I get more pain from the left achilies than the right 1 that has the 2 rips. Has anyone's surgeon let them WB right from the start with a air cast boot. I've been looking at the IWALK but think my legs are too fat for 1.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Denise

Don't fret! I had tendon transfer and foot reconstruction on my right foot first and then 15 months later had my left foot reconstructed. My r foot was the worse one . Mr r foot would hurt alot around the area where they put screws and a plate. I had to hop on my r foot only whilst I was nwb for the first 3 months post op on my left foot . I did ask about using a boot to cushion my pain immediately after my op but was advised not to. I did however go from a hard cast to an aircast boot for a further 8 weeks and only started to partially weight bear in the boot. I will say the boot helps the foot but can cause back n hip pain... big did I suffer

What you got to remember is once you have the boot on its not very stable without the support of your other leg.

Have you considered a wheelchair? I had to and was glad I did buy a wheelchair before my op in preparation for the long nwb time. Whatever happens I'm sure your doc will advise you on how you are to manage.

Good luck! Let me know what they suggest.

Nikky

• Posted

Thank you Nikky8 for taking the time out to respond.

My Aunt has a buggy I can use if I go out but I'm more worried about round the house and stairs. I'm sure If I hop I'll do a lot of damage to my ankle and the stairs lol.  I'm a strong (mentally) woman so I'm sure once I've had the op I'll just get on with it and face whatever I have to with a smile (well I hope so anyway) through gritted teeth. A wheel chair indoors isn't really an option as I have a 2 up 2 down small house. I might just shuffle round on my computer chair. Thank you

• Posted

Hi Denise

You may want to google "knee walker" or a "knee scooter" which could be very beneficial to you. All the best. You can buy or rent them.

• Posted

Yep the knee scooter is great especially when you need to get things in and around the house!.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.