Nytol Nightmare

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 4 years ago I started taking Nytol to help with getting back into routine from camping at a music festival.

I enjoyed feeling mellow and it relaxed me. The added benefit of not remembering dreams or nightmares helped too.

It used to just be a few 100mg doses a night but over 3 years it's escalated to 20x50mg tablets every day. I plan my evening routine around taking them.

The local pharmacies asked questions but I'd rotate my visits over a few different towns, I'm naturally quite chatty and they never really said anything.

Two Christmases ago, one pharmacy embarrassed me in front of everyone waiting in the line and refused to sell me them. I know this was right of them to do, but it did seem strange to just mention it then when I'd been visiting regularly for 18 months.

After the incident I looked online and found a licensed website that sell them within the UK. Now, I get them delivered monthly. I go through around 2100 tabs over 4/5 weeks. 1112mg a night. (Even working this oh freaks me out!

I know this is bad but I'm worried that my judgment of taking them is be impacted by the drug itself.

I know these things must be causing all sorts of problems - not least my mood changes and depression - but I'm finding it hard to come off them.

In the times I've tried over the last year or so, I could feel myself steadily feeling more awake and alert. Others described this as hyperactive and fidgety, almost bipolar.

One occasion my boss took me aside to ask if I was ok. I was perhaps a bit chatty and high. I was told (nicely) to calm down.

I know that the tablets suppress my energy and nervous system but coming off them worries me because I think I may have messed up my body for good. I'll be forever restless and over reactive.

I don't feel comfortable talking about it with anyone else. I live alone, hold a good job but my moods are dark and... Well, I just don't know the best way forward.

Should I stop taking them and 'deal' with energy search, or is there something that I can take to help?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You need to see your Doctor and be honest with them.  They will probably suggest a slow taper and change over to a prescription sleeping aid.  Nytol is not suppose to be addictive but then, that is what they say about Tramadol and withdrawing of them were horrible.

Once you get of them you will not forever feel restless and over active. The brain is capable of healing from the worse damage, it just takes time.  I know it will be scary going off them.  We all use our addictions as a crutch and once that crutch is taken away we are left floundering.  But this too shall pass.  Whatever you do don't try to go at it alone, talk to your GP.

• Posted

This is the first time I've heard about a person addicted to Nytol. They did nothing for me.

You haven't messed up your body yet. See your doctor and maybe he will give you just ONE pill to take at night to help you sleep.

As for being manic, I wish I was manic without my speed.

• Posted

so I am concerned about how you made out Ross.I see this is an older post but I hope this still might help.I only joined about 1 wk ago.I too found these pills.other brands such as "sleepeze-d"I went from 5x 50mg day to 30-35 per day for about 3 yrs.I was working unloading trailers and actually worked my way to run the control booth as my addiction got worse.I would take about 15 at once.watch tv go for a walk play guitar.I started using to help me off a cocaine addiction and pot and alcohol.In the end I took a weird violent seizure in the street.As my body flailed uncontrollably 2 kind strangers pinned me down .I had tried to stop before but became violently ill.After this I had to stop so I tapered off to not be so sick .I was scared as I tapered after I took only 5-10 tablets per day for wk I felt seizure come on so i laid still and breathed alone in my apartment.till I had the next week off.So then i cut it out on work friday ,with wkend plus next 7 days off I began to feel better but could not eat. I went back to work and with the next week began to feel good for about 3 hrs per day.finally when 1 month had passed I was feeling well all the time.I avoided the active ingrediant in that pill because I took nightime flu med over the counter and soon realized I was having bad experience.Ever since I look at ingrediants.It was a nightmare.Unfortunately I continued to smoke pot and fell back to alcohol and cocaine..But now clean totlly for 6 yrs.Hope you respond I know what you are going through .I hope you made it.I have beat a lot of addictions but I have to say this was horrible.Many times I tried to taper and got too sick.Good luck and god bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.