OA is all in the head!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

You will all be pleased to hear that OA (or rather the pain we have) is all imagined - well most of it is!😡. The wise words from my gynaecologist yesterday.  If we learnt to accept it, take our minds of it (perhaps do a little skipping, aerobics, marathon racing, etc ???) our pain woulld reduce considerably!!

I'd like to wish these wise men 'seasonal greetings'.

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Should have mentioned I was rather stiff/in pain when he was examining me!!
  • Posted

Don't worry I had to see a female gynae 10years ago.Lovrly lady but had never undergone any gynae procedures.I had a uterine biopsy done without any local anaesthetic -her advice "take deep breaths".

If they had our conditions they might be more feeling 😂

• Posted

What idiocy? How old is this guy Constance? I'll bet he doesn't have arthritis. So pain from bone rubbing on bone is just imaginary? How incredibly dumb and stupid. It's people like him who give medicos a bad name. 

• Posted

That would be right...too young for arthritis. 

Loxie, I can't even bear the thought of childbirth....I'm so glad I'm not a woman. 

No childbith, pee standing up, no menstruation, no menopause

We have five adult children ...my wife is a hero. 

• Posted

ahhh but what about balding, prostate problems, ED, testicular cancer, higher rate of cardiac attacks, .........not to mention being the less important gender in that you cant reproduce without us? hehehehe.  I have to admit I've always been envious of the peeing standing up thingy. lol

• Posted

Loxie and Constance...you're both right...I didn't realise that it sucks so much to be a man. 

Heres a philosophical question for you both...

If a man was alone in the middle of a forest and there were no women present....would he still be wrong? 

• Posted

at my age, so do I unfortunately - those pesky chin hairs!!!!
    • Posted

hahahaha. The more important question would be - if there are no women present - he's probably ignored the map and is lost in the forest...giggle.

• Posted

re the shaving thingy
  • Posted

To be honest, I had to laugh when I read this.  Then I thought - hang on, dummkopfs like him are 'in charge' of our medical care........smile

There is however a little tiny bit of truth in his ill thought comments - the mind can be a very strong weapon in dealing with pain.  No amount of positive thinking will cure the actual disease, fact unfortunately.  However, things like Mindfulness techniques, GENTLE exercise and comforting stuff like warm baths or hot/cold packs do help in lessening the impact of on our lives.  I'm left wondering just how men would cope with childbirth - perhaps that gynae should speak to one of his obstetrician colleagues about it......

• Posted

To be honest I laughed when he said it.  I really thought he was joking as I struggled a bit to get on the examination chair.

However, I then thought of my rheumy,  who accepts that bone on bone is, of course, serious, but common or garden "wear and tear" is often exagerated.  As for PMR he really believes it disappears within 2 to 3 years. I've had it for 5 years and he is continously telling me to get off the steroids.  I suppose the disability and pain I still have 'must be' all in the mind.

• Posted

With my doctors, both GP and consultants, the jury is still very much out on whether they believe PMR to be a 'real' condition sadly.  An elderly friend of my who was diagnosed with polymyalgia was told that it was self determining, ie it would come and go and could disappear all together. I've never heard of anyone with fibromyalgia being that lucky however.  My GP is convinced that PMR is just a made up name to cover a multitude of sins and that pain syndromes of this type are due to stress (whether physical or mental).  She won't treat the PMR as a condition of its own and thinks if patients learn techniques to remove or cope with the stress the pain syndrome will subside of its own - maybe your rheumy is thinking along the same lines.  Setting a rigid time frame however is not helpful is it, there are people on these forums who've had PMR for up to 30 years!

• Posted

I really haven't had much stress in life, thank goodness - until PMR struck me - THAT is my stress!

• Posted

could be physical trauma either - accident, childbirth, etc., or bereavement.  Even moving house can be traumatic and triggers adrenal overload, excess cortisol etc.,  I'm amazed how much we humans have to endure, no wonder the body's pain responses go into hyperdrive.

• Posted

Never thought of that!  We've moved 17 times since we married (nearly 60 years ago).  Just took the moves as a 'part of life'.  Too much importance is put on the word stress these days.  Whatever would our parents have suffered if the whole world talked about stress?

• Posted

I'm sure in my case that 99% of my many health conditions stem from stressful events and whenever I have been referred for various investigations, the look on the doctor's face when they read through my extensive medical history is always one of surprise. I usually try to make a joke about it by saying I'm just like the game "Operation" as I've had so much surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.