Objects appear in slant position after wearing astigmatism glasses

Posted , 2 users are following.

recently I had my eye check up and diagnosed with astigmatism. When i wore my eye glasses all of a sudden the glass wall of Shop appeared in slant position and i felt so much strain in focusing, the surface appear to be uplifted. I felt like the floor has come upto my knees. I wasnt able to walk comfortably in mall after wearing that spectacles. When i consult my doctor he said this is quite normal its going to take 1-2 weeks to settle down. But i got panic and refused to wear that spectacles as i was wondering how these slant image will turn into straight position. Kindly guide me is that normal that after wearing astigmatism specs, the objects appear in slant position.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Makes me smile. Exactly the same happened to me. When I first stepped out of the opticians shop wearing my new glasses I started to lift my feet as if walking up some (imaginary) stairs. Had the impression the even ground is strangely sloping. Also had the impression I am looking out of a fish tank. Everything sharp and in focus but strangely warped.

You'll get used to it. What we see is not the actual image recorded by our eyes but what our brain makes of it. In time your brain will get used to it and process the images in a different way.  

That said, sometimes opticians do make mistakes. But if you had it double checked and your doctor says the powers are fine then just keep wearing your glasses. You'll be fine. 

• Posted

Ok thankyou.

Someone suggested to continue with two spectacles, with astigmatism and a simple nearfightedness ones.

• Posted

I am assuming your new glasses are varifocals. That in itself takes some time getting used to. 

I am slightly shortsighted and wear glasses only for driving and sports. For me astigmatism (with powers around cyl. 1.5) does not cause problems when reading or doing computer work.  

If you have trouble getting used to your glasses it might be a good idea to have two separate pairs. You could first get a pair of glasses for distance vision (with astigmatism) that you can use for driving and outdoors. Should your varifocals still give you problems then you can always get a pair of simple reading glasses (without astigmatism).  

• Posted

Thankyou for your valuable comment and suggestions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.