Obtaining copies of blood work

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all. I've posted before asking questions and everyone here has been so helpful but now I have another question  - sorry.  I'm in UK and wanted to know if I can ask for copies of my FBC results from my family doctor (who is a stranger to me actually).  I would like to ask for print outs for say, the last 5 years at least, so I can decide whether I need to see a haemotologist.  Last family doc (GP) visit showed me on screen my  results and he scribbled down 166 HGB (?) and polycythemia r.v. I can't remember other results.  I'd like to know what steps to take, GP not unduly concerned.  I'm a 67 year old female,  Oh to add GP did say 'the expensive tests have to come from a haemotologist' I think he meant jak2 gene tests?  I'm just so confused and lost.  j.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes. All the medical records you are entitled too.

If your doc is not concerned. Then seek another doctor.

Polycythemia left untreated can be fatal

Heart attack. Stroke. Thrombosis. And much more

• Posted

Hi pete.  Thanks for your reply.  I am already fed up with this disinterest from GP.  I really don't have any symptoms, just my FBC resuts and I don't want to be seen as a hypochondriac.  j

• Posted

Hello jessie, I may be completely wrong but I thought tgat under the Data Protection Act you were allowed to see all the records held by your GP.

No doubt someone more knowledgeable will be able to confirm or deny that in a short while...... smile

• Posted

All your medical records belong to you. Full access to everything
    • Posted

Thanks angela.  I was allowed to "see" the results, but wondered if I could ask for a printed copy of them.  Not sure of my rights here !  j.

• Posted

Thanks pete.  Goodness I feel somehow I'm wrong to ask for copies so I can see the results.  Like I'm wasting NHS time.  j.

• Posted

I had no symptoms untill i got a massive heart attack. Lucky i was fit and young .

• Posted

pete that is dreadful.  Did your FBC results show problems that should be investigated?

I used to trust doctors but now  ??

• Posted

Jessie.

I had high hemoglobin for 2 years and doc said nothing. So I thought I was ok.

Until the heart attack

Bloody clot in main atery. 100% blocked. It should have killed me

Yet. It hardly affected me

• Posted

pete - thanks for your reply.  Are you OK now?  Do you have ongoing meds. or treatment?  You were so fortunate could have been fatal.  j
    • Posted

Jessie

I was ok. Even when having the heart attack. All i had was vomiting.

My treatment is an asprin a day and giving blood every 6 months.

Lucky i was very fit

• Posted

Absolutely you should get copies of all your tests.  Sometimes, if you get your doctor to add it to the blood test requisition, the clinic that does the testing will send you a copy as well as to your doctor.  Sometimes you may have to request it (and pay for it) from your doctor.  I have kepot a spreadsheet of all my blood tests for years and it allows me to track what's going on, plus bring to my doctor's attention things she might not have noticed.  My doctor didn't notice that I had PV until I asked why my hemocrit had been trending higher.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply andrew.  I;ve only recently learnt how necessary it is to inform oneself of these things and keep one's own check.   Good job you queried your hemocrit, doctors aren't infallible are they. 

• Posted

Hi Jessie. Yes, after you are referred to a hematologist, he will test for jak2gene mutation. Then he may prescribe medication or may do blood draws to lower the  hgh red blood count. You must see a hematologist . Best wishes 
  • Posted

Hi Jessie you must get a second opinion, my doctors were very good blood tests every 2 weeks then went to see a rheumatologist who then referred me to a haematologist all within 6/8 months. Found the jak2 mutation blood taken every few weeks for 12 mths all under control now. I have blood taken every few months now hope you get better soon.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.