Occult Blood and RBCs

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, all. I saw my primary care doctor last week after a couple weeks of right flank pain. His preliminary diagnosis (he's since referred me to a urologist) was kidney stone(s), though he did mention the more remote possibility of kidney cancer. My question is: the urinalysis came back positive (+1) for occult blood but my RBCs (and everything else) were in the normal range. Because of this, he said my urinalysis was non-conclusive. Does anyone have any insight as to why occult blood would be present, but RBCswluld not? It seems kind of contradictory. Thanks!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

try another test and get a second opinion. occult blood can be caused by varying factors including diet, age, gender, lifestyle, etc. what other symptoms do you have?
  • Posted

Hi Sudheendra86050 -- My PCP referred me to a urologist who was unconcerned about the result since no RBCs were present. My only, and continuing, symptom is pain/burning below my right rib cage and right flank pain Sometimes the pain extends to my mid upper quadrant and other points in my back. Also, occasional very loud abdominal gurgling. Pain seems to get worse as the day goes on. I had a blood test on Tuesday and should get results in the next couple of days, plus I have. CT scheduled for March 9.
  • Posted

Blood test results just came back and are completely normal....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.