Ocd intrusive thoughts

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I suffer with ocd and have done since 2010 it has taken a lot away from me and I find it really difficult at times I am actually a really bubbly person and continue to fight when I have intrusive thoughts it can make me hate myself and cause depression I guesse I'm just looking for some support really I hope I can get that here I'm def not a doom and gloom person but it's nice to be able to tell someone who has the same illness how you feel and they can relate. Have a blessed day peeps

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Nicky, I think we all suffer with intrusive thoughts to some extent and I think you sound as though you're too hard on yourself. I don't think we would be normal as a species if we didn't have disruptive thoughts. Just be strong and positive and remember all your good qualities rather than get depressed when you feel you are going down. I know it's easier said than done as I've been there myself. My secret weapon is exercise and a steam and sauna place I go to regularly. Find out if there's one near you and give it a try or swimming is good too, if there's no healthspa near you. Where there's a will there's a way, try to find something therapeutic which helps you feel better about yourself when you feel you are going under with your ocd. It's surprising how you can turn your thoughts around with a bit of concentrated exercise and other people's company whilst you're doing it! Even exercise classes or yoga may be a good idea, or have you already tried my suggestions? Yvonne
    • Posted

Thank you so much it's hard and a struggle but I do try my best hope I can overcome this some day
  • Posted

Hi Nicky,

I agree with Yvonne's very wise post - a lot of what she is talking about is self-compassion and self-soothing which I have learnt about in my psychotherapy sessions. We all have the negative triggers but also the positive switches that combat the unhealthy thoughts. These positive reinforcements are different for each of us so do all you can to find what works for you - I think it will go a long way to ease your distress. I'm hoping that you can connect with others via this forum who are battling OCD - there's nothing quite like sharing with someone who really "gets" what you are going through. Alternatively, your doctor should be able to refer you to your local mental health services (which they may have done already as you have a diagnosis) and perhaps connect you with a support group.

Good luck. Always here whenever you need support or someone to listen :-)

Digsby x

• Posted

Thank you digsby that means a lot I do need the support I do find it very difficult at times any advice is much appreciated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.