Oct Nov 2016 awaiting right hip replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 54 white female awaiting hip replacement. I'm on urgent and have signed up for the survey and will be monitored over the next 10 years. I have great faith and know that I will be in good hands

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had my left hip replaced on May17th. Surgery was a success. That afternoon after surgery they had me walking a short distance on a walker and back to bed. The next two days after surgery I had therapy in the morning and afternoon. You have to go in with a positive attitude and don't be scared. If it's any help to you, hip surgery recovery is faster than knee surgery.I am at home now and on home health therapy three days a week. You will have pain, but it won't be the same type of pain that you have before surgery. There will be some swelling on your left leg but that is expected. Today my wife and I made a trip to the grocery store and walk with a walker the aisle while she shopped. I encourage you to do some walking to get things going. Wanted to wish you a successful surgery and a speedy recovery
  • Posted

Welcome Jeannette. This really is a fabulous forum with very generous and helpful members. I hope you will come to enjoy it as much as I do.

I am happy for you that you are 'in the pipeline' and can look forward to losing the awful OA pain and getting on with life again.

You will hear it said many ways - the journey you are embarking on is a bit of a rollercoaster: emotionally and physically, with highs and lows, with progress and steps backward. BUT my experience and is so good overall. I am 16 weeks post a posterior approach THR on my left hip and in line to have my right done late summer.

I am interested in your reference to a longterm follow-up study. This is something that several members have discussed theoretically. I am very interested in learning who is conducting the study so I can learn more about its parameters. Let me know if you get further info on it. Thanks and ...

Best of luck on your THR journey.

L

• Posted

Hi Linda

Studt: BC study of G7 cup and compatible femoral stems. Approximately 480 individuals will be taking part in this research in up to ten NHS hospitals across the UK. The purpose is to obtain immediate, short, medium and long term information about the performance and my experience of the G7 tm acetabulum system used with a compatible femoral stem over a 10 year period.

Hope this is helpful

Jeanette

• Posted

Hi jeanette,

I too am 54 female.

Had LTHR posterior ceramic on 11/apr so now at 6wks.

Doing good pain from oa in hip all but gone.

Just need to regain stamina and confidence (normal sleep).

Will also be interested in the research project so please post if u can

Good healing on your journey ❤

• Posted

Hi Angela

Study: study of G7 cup and compatible femoral stems. Approximately 480 individuals will be taking part in this research in up to ten NHS hospitals across the UK. The purpose is to obtain immediate, short, medium and long term information about the performance and my experience of the G7 tm acetabulum system used with a compatible femoral stem over a 10 year period.

Hope this is helpful

Jeanette stewart

• Posted

The success rate for hip replacement is very high, so that is good news!  Wishing you everything of the best for your op.  Mine was done on 26 April due to a bad fall that I had, I broke the femur.  It is important to do the exercises and to walk. 

I had physio yesterday and she really worked my case....ha ha, has to be all good.  Was sore afterwards but took 2 pain killers and took an anti-inflammatory this morning.  Things are definitely improving.  Was a bit shocked to learn that I cannot drive for another 6-8 weeks as unfortunately my left leg is the 'clutch leg' for the car and I cannot bend or move the leg that high right now, but I know it will improve.  If I had an automatic I could drive but I don't so hubby will have to carry on being chauffeur for now!

This is a wonderful forum and the support is fantastic!

• Posted

Sounds as if you are making great progress despite a tough challenge!

I sympathize about the driving - it is so associated with our independence that is quite a blow. But once one overcomes reluctance to ask for help (on yet another dimension), it can nice to be chauffered. 😆

I echo your encouragement to commit to the exercises and PT. They are so key to rebuilding connections and strength in muscles and other connective tissues and as importantly - to minimize pain from cramping and tightening of these tissues. In my experience, the easy stretch exercises were key to making it through the night during the first weeks.

Good luck to you and to Jeannette as she embarks on the THR journey.

• Posted

Hi Jeanette,

warm welcome to this friendly hippies forum ..

from now on you can count on support and understanding like nowhere else - 

just come back with any questions or concerns you might have ...

do what you can to keep as fit as possible -

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.