Oesophageal cancer

Posted , 9 users are following.

i am worried I may have oesophageal cancer I have a lot of the symptoms that just started this week. My doctor keeps telling me it's my arthritis but another symptom started food getting stuck in throat. I am so scared at this moment

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi lyn65518..

I know how you are feeling, I've had a sore throat for 4 months now, unable to swallow, feeling like something stuck in my thought, various other symptoms that also relate to esophageal cancer..

It took me a while to build courage to see my gp, but he immediately sent me for bloods to be done..

As the results came in I have a really high platelet count and high c reactive protein levels, he has now refered me to ENT under urgent...

Obviously very scary, but am pleased he listened and has rushed things through.

I think you should get a second opinion from different doctor, something as serious as this needs looking at not brushed off...

I would ask for a full blood test to be done of all tests needed, they can then take it from there.

It may be your arthritis but then it may be more..no one knows for sure. Get a second opinion...

Hope all goes well for you.

Emma x

• Posted

I have gone to different doctors at my surgery they must get together and discuss patients because they all say the same, I have a ct coming up on my kidneys 28th September because it felt like my kidneys were going to explode, when I went to the urologist I did not have the problem with the food stuck in my throat that has only just come on this week, I can't sleep I am shaking with anxiety and it's making everything worse, I could have had this for nearly 3 years I am 63 and I know I have osteoarthritis in lower back, but this feels different, when I lay on my back it feels like something growing on the left flank under the rib,sometimes I just don't want to wake up anymore.
    • Posted

Aww, surely they have to investigate, I too have the pain on left side under rib cage, I would go back and push it, do they know about this new symptom?

It will make your anxiety worse, even shakes. Aww that's not good not wanting to wake up anymore.

Do u have a walk in doctors surgery u can just turn up to without appointment?

Or push your doctors, they have a duty of care to request these tests for you, to ease your anxiety?

• Posted

Because I am under the urologist at hospital they won't do anything till I have the kidney scan, and that's not till the 28th Sept.  The new symptom of food getting stuck and more so because I am panicking no they don't because it only started I think last Friday. They keep insisting its arthritis, I have not lost any weight and I need to because I have put quite a bit on. I have just started to eat a lot less, and I do walk even with this burning pain, this all started out about 3 years ago with the pain in my kidneys but I don't think it's anything to do with that. I could not believe I was shaking and sweating last night, it took all night to clear a piece of melon from my throat....
    • Posted

Any update emma on how you are doing?
  • Posted

We have just been through all the tests to discover that my husband does have this cancer. He had no symptoms except weight loss. Please go back to your gp and insist on further investigations, the sooner it is caught, if it does turn out to be what you fear, treatment will soon follow. I wish you well, try not to panic. Lesley
    • Posted

Aww bless you, very difficult to go through, I too have weight loss, am not on any diet n eat the same as my husband...he has put a stone on since Feb this year, I have lost 3..

I'm just waiting for ENT appointment to come through. He refered me urgent on Monday last week but I'm thinking it's taking longer due to the bank holiday weekend.

I will chase it if it doesn't come in the next couple of days. I hope your husband does well with treatments.

Emma

• Posted

The type of cancer my husband has is small cell, it hasn't spread but the team have decided surgery is not the bed option due to the risk of spread. There is very little information available as it is quite rare. Will be meeting oncologist on Friday as it seems chemo us the way forward so we will wait and see what happens next. Lesley
  • Posted

I cant believe people are saying they have had symptoms for a very long time. for goodess sake get it looked at. Your doctor cannot say what it is without proper test surely.I know symptoms are all different. but surely your body is telling you if something is wrong. my symptoms were not painful until I ate, then I had food stuck at the base of my oesophagus which gave me an indigestion feeling. I am now 3 months after surgery, my stomach is somewhere in my chest but apart from eating small portions I feel great and back to normal life. Please remember worry is killer, please don't be terrified, be positive.
    • Posted

Dear Eric, so glad you are recovering well. We were hoping for surgery when we were told there was no spread but for small cell surgery is not the answer due to the risk of spread. We are putting our trust and hope in the oncologist although it is quite rare and not much evidence to go on. Looking back over the last few weeks, apart from weight loss which seemed a good thing there has been nothing to make me suggest Derek should visit doctor, so people with symptoms should definitely act quickly. Lesley
    • Posted

I know what you are saying, it's just some people are very unlucky where they live, I have not been right four nearly 3 years I am not saying I have had all these symptoms for that amount of time, but new ones keep coming up, I will be glad to get the ct scan out the way at the end of the month then I can go from there, I am very pleased that your operation went well, not sure what part of the country you are from?
  • Posted

we are in Broadland, norfolk. its hard to get appointment for gp but we have nurse practitioner who is excellent and has been instrumental in getting my husband through the system really quickly, less than a month since she noticed weight loss when he went for cholesterol test. lots of new houses due to be built so it will get even harder to get urgent treatment.
    • Posted

I live in fairford in Gloucestershire it is very small, but will increase with all the new house building, to see a doctor it is 2 week wait and I have seen all the doctors which are not many, I would go to another surgery but it is to far for me to get there and we only have a few buses a day, a neighbour of mine died earlier this year with stomach cancer it was a very short illness, he waited over 3 months for treatment which by thenit was toto late. I had an inflamed pancreas in 2011 and not one doctor would send me anywhere They said there was nothing wrong with me so I called an ambulance and it was confirmed the next day, you can't do that now because a medic turns up and they decide...

• Posted

Perhaps if the tumour is small chemotherapy may be your answer. mine was confined and not spread. by the time my chemo was finished my surgeon said he couldnt find a tumour. however he still insisted on removing my gullet. A bit drastic really but he said he had to remove the tissue where it had been. things sound a little optimistic for you, i hope so.
    • Posted

I have to wait till the 28th sept till I get a ct on my kidneys before I know anything for sure, since seeing the consultant for flank pain I have had more symptoms but they won't do anything till after that scan, I have always argued that it is my pancreas so I am hoping something will show up when I have that scan, it has come at a difficult time with my sister having heart problems and I want to be with her when she has her operation, but I just hope I am well enough, it is the worry of not knowing and the worry of what you will be told because some cancers are just so aggressive like the pancreas you don't stand much of a chance. I wish you well with your recovery...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.