Oestrogen cream issues

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone.I have been prescribed Oestrogen cream following a biopsy which confirmed LS I plucked up courage yesterday to use the cream with the applicator supplied. It was excruciatingly painful and has left me with discomfort,burning and itching for the last 24 hours. It feels as if its stirred the whole thing up again and I'm back where I was a few weeks ago after having settled down.

Has anyone else had any problems using the oestrogen cream with the applicator. The alternatives, I guess, are abandoning the treatment altogether or using a pessery which I really don't fancy. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I was given this too,but I only used it for a short while,as I felt I did not need it.
    • Posted

Thanks val82862 did you manage to use the applicator OK when you did use it.
  • Posted

It was ok did not really like to do it .
  • Posted

The pessary is very easy to use, doesn't leek or anything horrid!
  • Posted

I think the cream with applicator was prescribed for use internally, like the pessaries. LS is usually found externally, so I personally use it that way effectively as most LS groups recommend. But if it makes you sore, you could try grinding pessaries and dissolving in emu oil or oil from vitamin e capsules, or coconut oil. I do this with half an oestrogen patch soaked in oil for 12 hrs or so, because it's a stronger dose of hormone than the pessaries, and I would be using it anyway.

I hope you do find a way as the hormone really does help most people!

Annie

• Posted

I also use the hormone cream -but externally. My dermatologist told me that even though it comes with an applicator, not to use that, but just to use thinly on the area 'within the hair' no more than 2-3 times a week. This hasn't proved any problem using it in this way. Hope you get it sorted soon
  • Posted

I found the applicator which came with the cream excruciatingly painful to insert. Rough around the dges. I bought a different applicatir off stress no more. And then i found just putting a bit on my finger and inserting it into the vagina then a bit on the outside was ok for me. The vagifem which are pessaries are easy to insert and seem to cause me less irritation. These are prescribed for vaginal atrophy though it appears from discussions that women are being prescribed the same stuff for LS.
  • Posted

I'm one of those women who is allergic to one of the ingredients in the prescribed estrogen creams. I've tried several...all with the same result.  Burning, itching and often developing a yeast infection from their use.  I use a topical natural plant based estrogen and progesterin cream without any issues. 
    • Posted

Is your cream on prescription Renee? I am not sure whether you can state the name on this site, but if you can that would be good.
    • Posted

As helen99763 mentions below she states that it is ineffective against LS...and I have found it so as well.  I have only used it to create some vaginal moistness. If you search it online look for plant based estrogen...and then research the company carefully prior to purchase. A good indication of reliability is that they have been in business a long time.  Also, look up pros & cons on their products in the search section of your web browser. This will help protect you from getting an inferior product or paying too much.
  • Posted

As a breast cancer survivor, I refuse to use oestrogen cream although my oBgyn prescribed it to 'strengthen the vulval tissue'.  If you do some research online, you will find that several studies found it useless against LS anyway.  I use coconut oil as a lubricant instead and have just followed the obgyn's prescribed clobetasol routine for over a year now.  The LS seems well under control at this point.  Also baking soda spray very soothing for cleansing.  All the best.
  • Posted

I used Vagifem over the last few months and its been fantastic.- and paying full price for it 10€ but worth every penny.
  • Posted

I think that the estrogen cream applied topically - just a pea sized amount maybe once or twice a week is worth a try.  I could not do it, because I am an estrogen dependent breast cancer survivor. i did it only once two years ago and the result proved this was not for me as I had facial numbness which was diagnosed at the time as a TIA.  I have not tried it since and have had no further TIA symptoms.  However I think I am really sensitive to estrogen.  I would try it topically and see if if helps to strengthen the vaginal tissue.

I have tried other vaginal suppositories and creams (non estrogen) but it was so painful that I gave up on them.

My last gyno appt was good - the LS is being kept at bay.   I just apply the clobetasol cream twice a week and use coconut oil daily and spray with warm baking soda water

every 3 days.  Works for me.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Maz, I was also prescribed Estrogen cream as well. My Dr told me to just throw the applicator away as I only needed to apply it on the outside. I am under menopause age, so I don't know if that makes a difference. He also told me not to apply it in the open, sore areas. I haven't been using it of late, as most areas are sore! sad  I wonder if the Estrogen cream was making me even more sore.
  • Posted

I cannot tolerate it either. I gave it a go a few times years apart.

It does not matter the form, the problem is with the ingredients.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.