OFF MIRTAZAPINE 3 WEEKS,,NOW TRAZODONE

Posted , 3 users are following.

i was on the mirt for 4 months for dep/anx/chronic imsomnia....it worked wonders for the dep/anx,,,i feel great to what i did 5 months ago ::: but still have sleep problems i only sleep 2-3 hrs a night and feel i need more,,that is better than none,,,dr today prescribed TRAZODONE 50MG ,,,has any one taken this for sleep if so do it work and is there any side effects,,,i think if i could get a couple of hrs more sleep i would be 100%,,,if thats possible ???,,i would behappy to get a feedback,BLUESY 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

• Posted

Hi I take Trazodone for sleep and it really works for me. I take 50mg. You need to take it as soon as you are ready to go to sleep, if you don't it can have the opposite effect. You may have headache and feel a little groggy upon waking for a week or so, but this soon passes.

• Posted

HI LISA,,THANK YOU 4 REPLY,,i will take your addvice ,,i wil take the first one tonight,,i can handle the h/ache ect i am used to them,,again thank you,,,,take care,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BLUESY
    • Posted

Hi bluesy you're welcome let me know how you get on these next couple of days

• Posted

HI LISA,,just to let you know,,i have now been on trazodone 8 days and it is not helping very much with the sleep only 1-2 hrs a night if i,m lucky,,i could not get a drs appointment 4 another week ,they just gave me a repeat prescription [50mg],,i am thinking of having a couple of cans of beer just to see what happens,,/?? hope it helps to get a bit more sleep ,,i cannot think of anything else,,any idea,s on this  ,,I AM A BIT SCARED to have the drink with the trazodone,,,BLUESY
    • Posted

Hello bluesy I'd increase to 100mg, that's what the doctor will suggest. Are you taking it just as you're ready for sleep , ie lay down relaxing? I wouldn't take with alcohol in my opinion it may make you dizzy & sick. If you really fancy a few beers I'd suggest not taking at all. Hope you find relief whatever you decide. I couldn't sleep for more than an hour or two without the Trazodone . Please let me know what you decide. Take care bluesy

• Posted

HI LISA,,thank u for reply,i will not have the drink,,but will increase too 75mg[i can do this] to see what happens,,i take it 30 mins befor bedtime after relaxing..i feel so tired but when i go to bed it takes ages to get to sleep when i do i wake up after 2-3 hrs,,i have had a lot of stress of late ,,,my nepthew died at xmas plus my brother is in hospital in a poor way,,so this is not helping,,what mg are u on,,also how long do u sleep     BLUESY
    • Posted

Your just really stressed out bluesy hence your mind racing . I was taking up too 150mg but found once I took immediately before sleep 50mg worked just fine. If I have a drink I skip a pill for the night. The doctor wanted to try me on benzos my sleep was that poor I just refused. If you're increasing to 75mg (good idea) and after around 4-7 days it doesn't work then I'm afraid you will need to try something different.

• Posted

Hi Bluesy,

Om off the MIRT now,  Doctor has given me some trazodone for Insomnia,  Is it working for you and how much are you takeing? 

• Posted

HI SWITCHMAN,,,,i am on 50mg,,been on this for 8 days and i am sorry to say it is not working very well just 2-3 hrs sleep,,just been given repeat prescription ,,to see if it gets any better,,do not let this put you off as it most probaly will work for you,,we are all different....i will give it another week if no change im going to quit and find some other medication for SLEEP,,,,IM SORRY I COULD NOT BE MORE POSITIVE,,,all the best..let me know how u get on,,BLUESY 
    • Posted

Hi,

My Doctor said start at 50mg and work up to 200mg if needed, could it be your dose to to low?

• Posted

Oh, Im not a very big 175lb soak and wet, I may try 100 and let you know.

• Posted

HI,,,what efect did the 50mg have on u do u sleep any better,,,,BLUESY
    • Posted

Hi

I have not taken it yet, I just got off the MIRT 30 days off and sleep is just starting to come back, I have been able to sleep last 3 days in a row for 4 and 5 Hrs, Its day by day right now, If I need it I will start at 100mg and go from there.  Im haveing a low day today as IM feeling bluesy. LOL

• Posted

Take as soon as you're ready for sleep and lay down then you won't feel blue! :-) start at 50mg. You may feel groggy dizzy sick etc at first after a week increase if necessary .

• Posted

Hi,

How long have you been on it? Are you taking anyting else? right now I am not takeing anything,  You said that I may feel groggy, sick, would that be in the morning or feel that way all day?

• Posted

Hi,

Try takeing it with some type of fat snake, it makes  it 80% better is what I have been reading and the paper I  got from the pharmancy says  to eat a light snake befor bed. Please let me know if that makes a diffreance. 

• Posted

Hi switchman about 8month. Just upon waking. You could feel absolutely fine . It soon passes
    • Posted

Hi lisa,

Thanks for the replay , last night I was reading a book and around 11PM I started to dose off, so I went to bed, My bedroom is upstairs, by the time I went upstairs to bed, I was wide awake, and was not able to get back to sleep, At 2AM I ate a lite snack and took 100MG of Trazadone and stayed awake all night, I felt like hart was going to jump out of my chest and could not get any sleep at all,  Do you think that 2AM was too late to take it, I’m just kind of second guessing myself right now, what are your thoughts? The reasion I started at 100MG is that my doctor said to take 50-200MG as needed, so I thought the 100MG would be a good starting point and adjust from there.

• Posted

Hi switchman sounds a horrid night ! I'd of started off on 50mg for a few nights then increased to 100 if necessary. I'd of also taken it when I went to bed. Maybe your heart was pounding because you had taken too much for a first dose? I'd give it another chance tonight, have 50mg once you get in bed and relax. See what happens. If your heart starts pounding again I wouldn't take anymore and go back to the docs.

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for getting back to me, I think your right I do want to give it another  chance to see if it will work, next time I’m going to take 50mg right when I get into bed, Have you ever had the experience  that it did not work for you during the 8 months?

• Posted

HI,,,if i was you i would start at 50mg,,as you are sleeping for 4-5 hrs a night now your body is returning to its normal self  after 30 days off the mirt  and may improve more and you might not need  to take anything ,,,the 100mg must have been to heavy at that time ,,no wonder you feel low today,,i am going to up it tonight to 75mg to see what happens i would be happy if i got 5 hrs sleep,,i also have been off the mirt 30 days,,i only sleep 2-3 hrs if jm lucky,,i also feel so tired after taking the tab 30 mins before bed but when i get in bed i am wide awake ,,then takes ages to get off,,,,it is trial and error  good luck        BLUESY 
    • Posted

HI SWITCHMAN,,,how did you get on last night with the 50mg
    • Posted

Hi,

The lowerdose from 100 to 50, workded I poped 50mg at 4AM and got some sleep. I may  try to lower to 25mg as I felt very groggy and tired.

the Doctor asked me to only use it as needed as the effectiveness will weare off. I even took  a 1hr nap today whichI have not done seance I was on MIRT last year,  So that is an enprovement.  I gess trial and error. 

How are doing on it?

• Posted

HI SWITCHMAN,,,,that;s great,,BUT why did u take it so late if u had taken it earlier u would not have been so groggy and tired,,try the 25mg to see what happens,,also it is not a good idea to take it randomly u won;t know if u are going or coming,,find the mg that suits u best and stay on that 4 a while and then slowly reduce,,,well done at least u know the 50mg works,,,keep in touch,,,,,,good luck,,,,,,,,,,,,BLUESY
    • Posted

HI,,,, FORGOT TO ADD IM STAYING ON THE 50 MG TO SEE IF THE SLEEP KICKS IN,,,,other wise i am ok ,,,,,,cheers ,,,,,,,,,,,,BLUESY 
    • Posted

HI SWITCHMAN,,,just to let you know ,,i stayed on 50mg for 10 days it did not help with the sleep just 2-3 hrs if i was lucky no different than when on the mirt,,also i was having dreams and tired all the time,,so i stopped taking it 3 days ago and ,,HOORAY,,,SLEPT 5-6 HRS BOTH NIGHTS,,but i do have 2-3 small cans of lager..i do not take any a/d medication now just hope it continues         BLUESY
    • Posted

Hi Bluesy,

I’m happy you got some sleep; unfortunately I cannot partake of any alcohol any more,

As that is how I got to this point in my life, I made a deal with the devil, now it’s time to pay,

I have started CBT, it is a none drug therapy, buy the book (Say good night to insomnia) It has been recommended by many who suffer from insomnia.

Good Luck Bluesy

• Posted

hi switchman  ,,thank you,,i hope your new medication works for you  and u will also be able to enjoy a couple of can,s in the near future    keep in touch,,good luck,,,,,,,,,,,,,BLUESY,,,i will buy the book just in case i need in the future,,,,,,,hope not,,,,,,,,,,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.