Offensive smelling urine

Posted , 3 users are following.

From September 2014 to January 2015 I had cystitis 4 times, very paifull etc.. but was given various antibiotics which seem to have worked but now, eventhough I have no pain or frequent passing of water, my water is so smelly it has become embarrasing at work. Can anyone suggest something to stop the smell please.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Firstly are you drinking enough? Urine often gets smelly if its concentrated. What colour is it?. If dark orange you need to drink much more,until you pee almost colourless urine.  If the smell continues though,maybe a return to your doc to do a check on your urine...you may be harbouring an infection but its not showing as cystitis.    
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Marina Dee. Yes I do drink a lot of water, 2 + litres a day. I must still have an infection but I'm not experiencing any pain etc.

I will make an appointment with my Doctor.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Good idea. Its also occurred to me that some foods can give a strange smell to urine. Asparagus is one!  Also puffed wheat,for some strange reason. Maybe if you dont have an infection you could try eliminating various foods from your diet one at a time. All woth a try..
    • Posted

Hi Janepip I also get smelly Urine and my GP tests it at the surgery and I always have an Infection but I have no other symptoms to be honest he hadn't confirmed it I would never have known. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.