OK to stand in shower at 6 Weeks Post Op?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi there! I have until now washed in the bath with my feet hanging out and have only now been ready to get my feet wet.

However, wondering about the WEIGHT BEARING aspect of standing barefooted in the shower. Is it ok to stand flat footed in the shower? or should I be wearing a supportive flip flop? (I've seen a Scholl one for wearing at the beach).

ps: I don't intend to do this (ie wear a flip flop in the shower) in the long term, just in this recovery period when I've not got the all clear from the surgeon that my bones have fully fused

pss: also asking this on the forum as my surgeon's office has not been helpful at all in my post op care

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, obviously I'm no doctor and the best person to speak to is him, but if he's not been great at communicating then this is what I was told. Bones are well on their way to being healed by 6 wks and I'm sure if you are careful and your wounds have healed there should not be any problem.

I did the foot out bath thing (only one thank goodness) for the whole 6 weeks not because of the bones so much as my wounds all got infected. I was dying to shower properly!!!

If you are worried then wait but you seem confident and know your body. Not sure if I've helped ! X

• Posted

Ajandtia

my feet were in the bath with me as soon as possible, about 17 days, and, of course, you have to put some weight on your heels to be able to get out.

at 5 weeks I was slowly walking barefoot to the bathroom as I was really fed up of wearing those horrible shoes.

at six weeks your bones should be fused, but only an X-ray will confirm. I would be more worried about slipping in the shower, and the flip flop thong between your toes.

get a seat for the shower, then you can spend as long as you like in there. I didn't have a shower for ages, as I had both done at once, ( I prefer baths anyway) and I was a bit of a coward..

You'll find on this forum that many people have been taking showers as soon as they were able, and certainly within the first 6 weeks.

take care

caroline

• Posted

Hi, I  am also at 6 weeks, I had an x Ray on Monday and my surgeon told me that the bones are doing well but not yet completely fused. I was told not to drive for another 2 weeks but that I can wean myself out of the Velcro shoe over the coming week. So I have been weight bearing and standing in the shower from this 6 week point but I am still partially wearing the shoe. I did not put any weight at all on until the surgeon told me I could, when is your follow up visit to the surgeon, he/she should really give you the all clear as everyone's healing is different. I did get my foot wet from the 2 week point when my dressing was removed so I think the getting wet aspect will be fine, Good luck
  • Posted

I'm going to wait till 6 weeks as my wound has healed well - and I'm weight bearing now...

But planning on making my showers relatively quick to start with.

Hope all goes well with you.

• Posted

Hi, I had stitches out on Tuesday and was told not to get feet wet. My next appointment is another 4 weeks when I will be having the X-ray to say if healed spenough to weight bare. I'm able to shower as I have waterproof leg covers which have been a god send. I have been showering from week one, very very carefully due to balance in those shoes lol . I'm jot risking putting feet to the floor, I think my feet have touched the floor once or twice in the last 2.5 weeks, I'm not risking it. I have double scarf and akin and one hammertoe. If they've told you no weight bearing don't risk it. X its a long road, but will be worth it. Good luck x
  • Posted

HI everyone, thanks for taking the time to reply. i will take your advice on board (ie will shower sitting on a stool). My next Dr appointment won't be until week 8, but his practice nurse has said it is OK for me to weight bear from Week 2. I am just being very cautious with my recovery because ...... I am NOT going through this surgery again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.