Olecranon Bursitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,i am a 55 year old man and have Olecranon Bursitis in my elbow, i have had it drained twice in the last 2 years and have had no problems, 10 days ago a new doctor drained it for me an them put a steroid in, he hit something with the needle in my elbow and it hurt ,it did bleed much more than before. 2 days after i now have a bad pain from my wrist to my shoulder, and it is waking me up all thought the night,i have a bit of a cold at the moment and if i cough or sneeze i get realy bad pains down my arm. is it possible he could have done something wrong, thank you for any reply

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

• Posted

Yes, the brachial plexus nerve bundle innervates the entire arm and hand. Its origin is the C5 to C8 vertebrae.

I strongly recommend an orthopaedic surgeon. Seek the most educated, the most skilled because you deserve the best care. Kind regards,

• Posted

I have bursitis in my left upper arm, it has been the most painful hurt I have evr experienced.  Tomorrow I will seek advice and hopefuly get a cortizone shot as no meds help no matter how strong they are, nothing helps.  Exercises just aggrevate.  It is not the elbow it is the upper arm.  It is hot and swollen and nothing is broken but this pain is unreal.  I have been in tears for a couple of weeks and finally see the ortho Dr. tomorrow.  I pray hat he can help me.. Kind regards  June
    • Posted

Hi June,

I will pray with you...meantime, have you tried ice? Try laying down with your arm on a couple of pillows with an ice pack (gel ice packs are the best). Do not put the ice pack directly on you arm because you do not want to burn your self with the ice.

I would like to hear how your visit goes.

Yoy are not alone, judith

• Posted

Judith first of all thanks for your quick response.  Yes I have tried ice and donexactly as you said for over 2 weeks and nothing works.  I will see what the doc says tomorrow, I hope he can help me.  I think I need a cortizone shot.  Who knows but the pain is unreal.  Thanks again  June
    • Posted

I just cam back from the Dr. and he gave me a cortizone shot in my shoulder.  I have a severe bout of bursitis and it is very painful.  He wants to see me again on Fri,.  I was in tears when I saw him and  man did it hurt when he put the shot in.  I did have a slight fall a few weeks ago and he is also concerned that I cracked my shoulder.  The xray will let me know, in the meantime keep praying and thanks for your support Judith.  I really have no one to talk to anymore as I don't want to be a burden to anyone.  It helps me to write to you all and the support from you helps,  Thanks so much  Hugs, June''

• Posted

Fured I have had injjections (cortizone) before and they never bled, and I understand no sleeping, I have not slept for the last 2 - 3 weeks with this bursitis in my upper arm it keeps waking me up.  I see the orthro Dr. tomorrow and want an injection in my arm.  As I wrote earlier not pain killer workd no matter how strong it is.  I wish you luck but I would go back to your Dr. and tell him what is going on asap./  All the best  Regards  June
  • Posted

Hi Fured,

How is your arm doing?

Have not heard from you.

Kind regards.

judith

• Posted

Hi June,

oouch, I am sad to hear this.

Shoulder crack...if you have a sling, put it on to take the arm weight off of the shoulder...keep elevated at all times...and keep the ice on constantly.

And you have a friend here...any time.

It is okay to cry...I will continue to hold you up in prayer.

judith

• Posted

Judith see my response to  you just above, I was confused on the names fured and ihavenonickname...

June

• Posted

Hi June,

I saw it...keep your chin up...better days are ahead

In Christ,

Judith

• Posted

Judith my faith seems to be failing me day by day, I am trying to believe there is someone looking out for me but things are not improving.  They think I have a small crack in my upper shoulder and it jus has to heal on it's own...See the Dr. again on Fri. Thanks for caring  June

• Posted

UGH!

If it is a crack, yes it needs time to heal...perhaps as long as 12 weeks. Oh how well I know those damnable 12 weeks. Sure would be nice if bones healed quicker!

That said, see if the doc will get you a proper shoulder sling which specifically supports the arm to relieve the pull on the shoulder.

June, I am in the midst of having joint replacements of both hands, both elbows, both shoulders, and the right lower arm. Aug 30 my right elbow was done, mid January the lower right arm will have it's implantin

• Posted

oops, working left handed!

then the end of February the right shoulder will be replaced.

June, having had multiple surgeries to repair fractured bone and havig already had twenty joint replacements I can tell you it will improve.

The severe bursitis, a shoulder crack!!

Go get the most chocolate ice cream you can find and enjoy every spoonful...crying in your soup does no good.

Chin up, it is always dark before morning!

On your side!

From Olympic City USA Colorado Springs

Judith

• Posted

Judith thanks for your quick reply, seems that this site and the new friends I have met on line are helping me cope.  Yes it will take a long time and I am in a sling and it helps.  I hope your joint replacements work out well UGG lots of pain I am sure.  Why all the joint replacements?  Anyway take care and talk real soon and again thanks for hangin in with me.  Can I ask where you live?  I am in Canada... Take care till next time.. Hugs to you  June
    • Posted

I did not finish reading your text so tonight I shall find some ice cream and chocolate and chins up...Why are you having so many surgeries.  What happened?
    • Posted

Hey June

Olympic City USA...also known as Colorado Springs, Colorado...south of Denver.

I have had Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis for 54 years...love having "juvenile" in me at 65!😄

• Posted

Hi Judith I have had RA for the past 17 years first diagnosed, it can be painful and get real bad flare-ups.   Well I see the Dr. again Fri am so I will see what he says.  I am wareing my sling anmd it helps with the should alot. So hang in there till next time. I am 65 too...Take care

Hugs, june

• Posted

I guess si, lots of chocolate and lots of pain,,,

Hugs,

June 

ps Take care of yourself

• Posted

Hi Judith just thinking of you how are you doing, I am feeling alot better.  The bursitis in my shoulder is settling down a bit.  Saw the Dr. today and got another cortizone shot, it is the only thing that takes the pain away.  Hope you are feeling better.  For a moment I thought I broke something after my fall, but the bursitis was already there and he said I tor ligments and that is so dam painfull, anyway thought I would see how you are

Hugs, to you  June

• Posted

June!

One of my favorite buds!

For the first time in months I am laying on the sofa...it feel so good to not do anything!

Went to neurologist on Tuesday, got my van skirt caught on a curb...ggrrr

But I am feeling great today...

Big hugs

judith

• Posted

Hi Judith

Nice to hear back from you glad you are feeling great today and hope it continues.  Take care and keep in touch

Lots of hugs,

June

• Posted

Hi Judith,

Just thinking about you today and wondering how you are doing.  What did the neurologist have to say?  Glad you had a great day.  My bursitis has settled down somewhat after 2 cortizone injections.  Man I have never had pain like that in my life.  Even my total hip replacement did not hurt like this.  I am hoping each day it will improve, and I feel I am getting better.  As the Dr. said after the bad fall I had flared everthing up in there. I sawhim yesterday and the xray showed that the swelling is going down thank God.  

I hope you are doing well and taking good care of yourself my friend, let me know how you are doing.

Hugs,

June

• Posted

June!

How very thoughtful of you. I am so happy that the damnable bursitis is finally letting go. Don't you just hate that super intense pain. I just get to feeling frantic especially with the pain and sleep loss.

Neurologist renewed my script for Mestinon Timespan and gave me an appointment on Jan 3 to see her PA...physician's assistant.

Did my rituximab infusion yesterday and do not have to do anything else until next Wednesday when I see the occupational therapist to learn new exercises for my total elbow replacement and to learn some shoulder exercises in preparation for the totak shoukder replacement in Feb.

Warm hugs abd smiles

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.