Omeprazole 40 mg daily

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey,

I've chronic gastritis and feel nauseous specially after eating since 9 months! I have really good times tho and the last doc I've met gave me prozac due to anxiety and it destroyed everything. My nausea became harsh and I dropped it.

I'm gonna take omep 40 mg only for gastritis.

My question is about,

Is there any difference between twice a day or once daily?

What do you recommend?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It is really up to you.

A paper, "The dose of omeprazole required to achieve adequate intraesophageal acid suppression in patients with gastroesophageal junction specialized intestinal metaplasia and Barrett's esophagus." published August 2013, concluded, "The majority of patients with Barrett's esophagus were controlled with once daily low dose PPI and only a minority required twice daily dosing."

However some patients feel more comfortable breaking their medication into two doses.

The best time to take a PPI is half an hour before food. This is because it needs to be absorbed in the duodenum not broken up in the stomach (which is why it is enteric (acid resistent) coated) and the peristalsis of chyme from the stomach will ensure it is pushed there.

Though the timing isn't critical, it is best to get into the habit of taking them at the same time each day and half an hour beofre breakfast is an easier time to become a habit.

• Posted

I really thank you for your answer.

Do you think that is any difference between ppi drugs such as rabeprazole vs omeprazole. First doc I've met said me that you can take any ppi, it doesn't matter but the last doc said rabeprazole is better than omeprazole so with only 20 mg rabeprzole a day, you'll notice difference.

But I've read that many gastritis sufferers take omeprazole for theirs disease. Confused a bit.

• Posted

There's been considerable research comparing the different PPIs which have concluded that all PPIs are as effective as each other when taken in equivalent dose.

Some patients seem to manage better on one than another though.

The NHS guidance is lowest effective dose of cheapest effective drug.

Omeprazole is cheaper than rabeprazole. Those drugs are equivalent weight for weight as well.

If you want to see an equivalence and costs table and links to the research, visit BarrettsWessex org uk and select Drugs from the dropdown menu of the Treatment tab.

• Posted

ive been taking losec for 20 years 40mg a day couldnt live without it if i miss one i am in bad burning pains if you need 40 take 40 
    • Posted

20 mg omeprazole didn't give me a relief. So I want to try 40 mg daily.

Do you split the doses or take once daily?

• Posted

i take 20 morning and 20 when going to bed 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.